Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mseinstall.exe is not a valid win32 application

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 roberth5

roberth5

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Interesting to be the very 1st person to ask a question about this issue. I used the search window above as I have for many computer questions I have had in the past only to receive the very same "no results" message.

I googled it and there is a great deal of post dedicated to the problem "mseinstall is not a valid win32 application" with a lot of chase your tail answers.

I was wondering if I might have a piece of malware causing the issue.

I have ran rkill, superantispyware, spybot, malwarebytes, adware cleaner, MRT.exe, combofix, and SFC thus far. (all current and updated versions of the aforementioned)

What should I try next?

Is there already topic on this that the search will not find?

Probably just me, but I never have any luck with the search on this site.

Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

I don't see a topic here at Bleeping Computer related to that exact error message either. However I did find a Microsoft Community answer with a checklist of things to do and even a link to creating an email support ticket with Microsoft for the issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/mseinstallexe-is-not-a-valid-win32-application/715c14cf-e765-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?msgId=b973adeb-c066-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

See the answer by Stephen Boots.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 roberth5

roberth5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

Most of the time I find that MS fixes are off base and useless, like their troubleshooting wizards, I have been doing computer work since 1985, the ONLY troubleshooting trees I ever seen work are the ones I wrote. I always got to the root cause, and never sent the user on a wild goose chase. Something of which MS is amazing at.

I have swept the registry and the file system for any remnants of Symantec endpoint, checked the services, used MSconfig and autorun to see if anything popped up ther, it all looks clean.

Just for kicks I ran TDSSKiller and Viprerescue (safemode).

Probably a re-format and re-install is in order.

I googled the issue, it is a common issue

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

This issue can be caused by any of the below possibilities.
1.File is corrupt, bad, or missing.
2.File is not designed for your version of Windows.
3.File is a virus, worm, or other malware file.
4.Hardware incompatibility.

Down load from Microsoft only, get rid of all other anti virus/malware,make sure all drivers
are up to date...

Edited by Roodo, 31 October 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

"Not a valid Win32 application" is a common error message received when attempting to run or install a 64-bit application on a 32-bit operating system.

Microsoft Security Essentials comes in both versions so you need to download the correct one for your OS.

Download Microsoft Security Essentials: Select your language and version (32-bit, 64-bit

That error message can also be indicative of malware infection (i.e. W32.Beagle/W32.Bagle worm, W32.Sonic.Worm, etc.) but in this case I suspect you downloaded the 64-bit installer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 LilBambi

LilBambi

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yes, that particular error message has happened before and quietman7 is right. That is how I fixed that issue.

I wish Microsoft would make the names of their MSE specific to 32-bit or 64-bit, it would make things so much easier.

If I need to download MSE for a dialup user, I generally to put them into folders that denote the 32-bit or 64-bit status of the file so I don't get them confused ... especially if I don't know which type of Windows a new client has and need to have both on hand.

Bambi
AKA Fran
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users