Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retiring on a narrowboat

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 not jerry springer

not jerry springer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:50 AM

Hi Guys.

We (early 60's) are going to live on a constantly moving canal narrowboat.

We are computer literate having used a PC for business and leisure but are now looking for a power-efficient, small space computer (tablet / notebook / whatever) for browsing, email, Skype, ordering food on-line, games, etc)

PC World have recommended iPad, Microsoft Surface, and friends have recommended Chromebook or Samsung Galaxy tablets.

All seem to have pros and cons.

What do you think would suitus best?

NJS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Hi, my personal opinion would be to purchase an Ultrabook because they generally are power efficient hence having a longer battery life, they are fairly small and compact and they light in weight while all being able to meet your needs. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Just curious what You are going to do to get Internet connectivity?

Thank You

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 not jerry springer

not jerry springer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for your replies, guys.

Unfortunately the Ultrabook (although they sound great) may be out of our budget.

For connectivity I was planning on using a dongle.

Back to you.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Make sure the Dongle is compatible with the hardware and Operating System of whatever You decide to buy.

I do not know Your Budget but I've seen small light laptops at around the $550 USA, and bought one too.

That was for A Windows 8 with Touchscreen. If You do not need a Touchscreen You will spend even less.

Not small, However at 120Watt max power usage would a All-In-One desktop work. Mine for example is 21 inches by 17 inches with keyboard & mouse approximately 12 Inches deep.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Is there a specific set budget we can work with?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 not jerry springer

not jerry springer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

A touch-screen is not necessary - in fact my good lady would prefer not to have touch-screen - all those greasy finger marks would upset her !!

I guess the budget would be around £450 (sterling).

I've seen laptops for £280 but do we need the power and attendant battery consumption?

NJS

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

I would have to say that many of the newer laptops use less power than the older ones. Some of the reasons being the screens are now LED backlights rather than Fluorescent backlighted. Next reason is the CPU uses less power. Third reason is many models use a external DVD drive to save space. When disconnected that does not use power. Then add a SSD rather than a Regular Hard Drive and save more power.

Power usage should be listed in the specifications. If You mean a 12 volt battery in the narrowboat, look for a model that has a car adapter that can run on 12 volts. That should save up-conversion to the mains voltage and then back down by the AC adapter and thus be more efficient of battery power (usage).

I've seen some of the newer laptops that use approximately 1/2 of the power of the older models.

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

On the UK Amazon site they have a Toshiba Satellite U940 which fits your criteria and it leaves £50 to spare for whatever the shipping cost will be. 

>Michael 

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

It looks like that uses a 45 watt power supply. For comparison My Older Satellite Pro uses a 75 watt power supply and my All-In-One uses a 120 Watt power supply.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

As one who has done a fair amount of canal cruising have you considered the power supply ?  Assuming you are not planning on using a 100% trad ex-working boat with a single lump semi-diesel, a stern cabin and paraffiin lighting, almost all modern narrow boats have 240Vac inverters. While the output from these is a 'squarer' wave than the the sine wave of mains AC a standard charger should handle that without any problem.

However I would recommend the use of an anti-surge socket, especially if you intend using an auxilary generator.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

Hi Chris, Some Surge Protectors have problems with Inverter output. Evidently the protection circuitry in some of them can not handle anything that is not a sine wave without overheating and in some extreme cases catching fire.

I ran across that in the this post

http://recall.apc.com/en

This recall affects Series 7 and Series 8 surge strips made between 1993 and 2002. Damages include $916,000 to a home and over $700,000 to a medical facility.

I'm kind of curious just how many of those reported fires were associated with someone making the mistake of plugging these strips into the output of a cheap older (square wave) UPS.  That combination has been a known potential fire-starter for many years.

http://recall.apc.com/en

Some surge protection devices can overheat under abnormal electrical conditions, posing a possible fire risk to persons and property

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users