Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anxious About Updating Video Driver

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Avocetz

Avocetz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:35 AM

Hi

I am about to try to update my Video driver. I've not done this before and hope that you good guys out there can ease my concerns.

Ive downloaded the new driver from the site ok. The instructions tell me to uninstall my previous driver, but what happens to my display after I do this and before I install the new driver?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I don't want to end up looking at a blank monitor!

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:55 AM

Hello Avocetz,
Do not be concerned about uninstalling your old drivers, you will notice no difference without them.

Typically what I do, when installing new video drivers is- uninstall the old drivers and then re-install the new ones. The thing that you have to look out for is that Windows does not delete the old driver files from your system and if it automatically installs the new drivers for you, it may just re-install the old drivers that you just uninstalled (if that makes sense!). You need to uninstall the drivers then manually install the new drivers. I would try- uninstalling the old drivers then installing the new drivers, then reboot your PC. Verify what version the new drivers are, and if they are the version you are looking for.

Hope this helps,

Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Avocetz

Avocetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:24 AM

Hi Charles

Thanks for your suggestions.

I will follow your advice and post back to let you know if this worked.

Thanks again

Chris

#4 Avocetz

Avocetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:22 AM

Hi Charles

New video driver successfully installed thanks to your much appreciated advice.

Thanks again

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users