Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans won't shut off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MoPar_Kid

MoPar_Kid

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hopefully I can get some help with this. Problem is, when I shut down the pc my fans continue to run infinitely. Everything from the chassis, cpu, gpu, psu, optic drive. I've checked to make sure windows is set to shut down, I've looked in the bios settings. I've cleared the CMOS. I've updated the bios. I've tried a different PSU. I thought it might be the board, however this is the second board. First board was RMA'd due to a faulty ram slot and had the same issue.

The fans are all PWMs, 3 are connected to a chassis header via spliter. Cpu's are connected to the cpu header via spliter. However, one of my cpu fans will occasionally shut down, which seems strange.

Im wondering if it might be an OS issue. I might try reinstalling windows. Otherwise Im lost. I wouldn't think it'd be the board, not two in a row. At least I sure hope not.

Any Ideas are greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Edited by MoPar_Kid, 29 October 2013 - 01:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hows your temps on the cpu.

#3 MoPar_Kid

MoPar_Kid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

Like 46 celcius or something, nothing extreme

#4 MoPar_Kid

MoPar_Kid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hows your temps on the cpu.

Correction, 28 °C

#5 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Sorry for jumping in here, but try this command and see what's happening.

1)hold the "windows" button down while pressing "R" as well

2) in the command box type ---> shutdown -s -f -t 0

...tell us whats happening after this :)

Edited by RobinHoodSnr, 30 October 2013 - 09:06 AM.

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#6 MoPar_Kid

MoPar_Kid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:57 AM

Unfortunately problem persists :/

#7 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:43 AM

3 0r 4 wire fans?
Try changing the temp value in bios for your fans.
make sure your plugged in correctly

#8 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

mmm...then it sounds more like a BIOS-thing...

You could try the following:

1) in your bios, DISABLE Power Management for everything

2) You didnt mention what OS you are running, but if its XP, go to Display Properties--Power, and change System Standby to NEVER

3) Also (depending on WHAT OS you have), you could even fix your MBR (Master BOOT Record)...that can be slightly corrupt...

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#9 MoPar_Kid

MoPar_Kid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

3 0r 4 wire fans?
Try changing the temp value in bios for your fans.
make sure your plugged in correctly

They're 4 wire pwms, except for the phantek, it uses some 4 wire adaptor. Its not only my chassis fans, its my gpu, psu, optic drive, cpu chip (led indicator). Basically the only things that shut off are the display input, TV tuner card, and the mobo's onboard led code display and onboard button leds for pwr/res.

#10 MoPar_Kid

MoPar_Kid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

mmm...then it sounds more like a BIOS-thing...
You could try the following:
1) in your bios, DISABLE Power Management for everything
2) You didnt mention what OS you are running, but if its XP, go to Display Properties--Power, and change System Standby to NEVER
3) Also (depending on WHAT OS you have), you could even fix your MBR (Master BOOT Record)...that can be slightly corrupt...

I'll look at the bios again, see if I missed something. You'd think setting it to default would power down. I failed to list my HW/OS :P

Asrock Z77 OC Formula
I5 3570K
8gb G skill 1866
Asus GTX 670 DCII
Samsung 256gb Pro SSD 
Seasonic X750 gold
Win7 64 pro

Phantek PH-TC14CS cpu cooler (w/ 1x 140mm phantek and 1x 120mm rosewill)
3x 140mm pwm rosewill chassis fans

#11 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

PS: also open up msconfig ( Winlogo + R-key) and enter "msconfig" without the "".

If you have any suspicious files there, just "untick" them. I believe McAfee can sometime also be a problem (if you HAVE McAfee of course)...could also be a program thats keeping you pc on "hold". If the above post didnt help, try and post your msconfig programs here...if possible...

#12 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

try turning your over temp protection off and see what happens

#13 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

If the hardware keeps running even after Windows has shut down, it's difficult to see this as a software issue. Still, try using the Linux live CD of your choice, and see if the behavior changes when you shut down the computer. I would predict that shutting down from Linux won't change how your hardware behaves. I think you have a problem with the mainboard. Just out of curiosity, what board are you using?

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users