Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Berkeley Open Infrastructure For Networked Computing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 John Hunt

John Hunt

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:49 AM

Greetings People !

Let me briefly introduce myself.......
I am 50 years old and have recently undergone a complete career change.
(but that's another story!!!)
My first experience with PCs was back in the early 1980s when MS-DOS v2.02
and 128k of RAM were pretty cool, dude!
OK, I never actually DID much with PCs, it was just that I had to use them at work.
Then, almost 2 years ago now, I decided it was time for me to get into all this internet
stuff. So I went out and bought an old second hand PC (Windows 98 with very basic 256MB RAM)
and taught myself Windows. Access to the 'net by the way was by dial-up.

After a few weeks, I decided it was time to upgrade to a better PC so off I went and bought a new
machine with a better spec and Windows XP.

It was at this time that I discovered networked computing!!!!!!

Posted Image

I came upon the SETI programme and through that I was introduced to a great bunch of guys who
have given me a fair bit of tech support along the way!
To cut a long story short - the BOINC system is very similar to the 'folding' system detailed elsewhere
on this forum. But it does support lots of different research projects.

If you are interested, pop over to BOINCUK & Team Lookers
where you will be able to get a better idea of what BOINCing is all about. The site also has an active forum
and the team is always looking for new recruits!!!

Posted Image
The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office.

If you would like to experience the wonderful world of distributed computing, go to
BOINCUK and Team Lookers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users