Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 "system reserved" (C:)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

This is going to be long post :smash:  Asus mobo.  P7H55-M Pro.  I have 4 drives in the box.  C, D, F H, I.  C is a partition of I.  C use to be the boot drive.  It started as I lost one drive, F in Win 7.  I took the cover off the side of the PC & found the SATA cable unplugged from the mobo for this drive.  I plugged it in & that's when the problem started.  It could not boot back into the Windows I was using.  It just wouldn't boot.  I used the Win 7 DVD to try a repair but it didn't see that drive version, "C".  it found an older version of win 7 I gave up on because of problems with it.  It repaired that installation.  That gave me a dual boot.  Win 7 or Win 7 repaired.  If I boot into the original Win7 I was using I get the following 2 error messages, C:\Windows|system32\USERNV.dll & C:\Windows\system 32\RpcPtRemote.dll  In The repaired win 7 in computer I see, System Reserved (C:), D(D), F(F) & (H) Local disk I, which is my old "C" drive.  C© reserved is part of this drive.  How did it get like this I don't even begin to understand.  The Win 7 I am on now is the repaired version on drive

D(D).  So if I make sense, System reserved (C:) is part of I drive which was my everyday boot disk C:  (D:) is the drive this version of win 7 is on.  Drive (F:) & (H:) are storage drives.  I need to get Drive I to be part of C(C:) again & have it boot into that drive.  Help, please.  The little System reserved (C:) if I double click on it I get "bootsect.lxe.bak

Edited by b1mmuo27, 28 October 2013 - 08:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

Go Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Take a screenshot which reflfects all drives...post that in your next submittal, please.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot. - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html

Louis

#3 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Here is my computer.

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

What is the System Reserved partition?

Frankly...if your system is working without problems...I would not worry about partition letters assigned.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8910da73-2b1c-4e66-b582-de13840af415/change-or-remove-windows-7-system-reserved-partition-drive-letter

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

The System Reserve partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  It also reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLockerDrive Encryptionion feature.  This partition typically is 100MB in size.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thank you both.  But I can't boot into (G:) which actually is my (C:)  I tried changing the drive letter but needed a boot manager to get back into the old Win 7 on drive (D:)  The drive is now all (C:) in win 7 & I can see all my files but doesn't boot.  I beleive the boot starp is missing?  How do I make it bootable again?  My other option is to format & reinstall on (C:) as I did back up what I needed from it.  Thanks

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

To make any Windows install using Win 7 and below together...I find that EasyBCD is my answer.

Louis

#8 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thanks again.  I got the drive to be all C: once again.  Win y DVD repaired the boot manager but I still get the 2 error messages when it tries to load into the Win 7 on C; drive.  I just get a blank screen.  I get a mouse pointer & I can hit control, alt, delete & bring up the task manager.  I can shut it dowm too.  I just can't see anything else but a blank screen.

#9 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

I found a dead drive in my desktop.  I think that was my problem.  Unplugged it.  Used Hirams boot cd mini xp & formatted C; drive.  I'm back up & running.again. 

#10 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

One thing you need to realize is that many BIOSs will reset the boot drive order if the original boot disk fails. By the time you reinserted the SATA connector, the BIOS had already rearranged things. SO, first thing you do is enter setup and check the boot order settings. Correct them back to the original order if necessary. Reboot, and it should work as long as the boot disk is OK. If it's still confused, try booting with only the boot disk plugged in and the rest of them unplugged. Reboot a couple of times to fix the proper order in it's little foggy mind. All should work fine after that with the rest plugged in again. Make sure you plug them into the original connectors or the drive letters will be messed up. Ain't confusers a joy?!?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

I found a dead drive in my desktop.  I think that was my problem.  Unplugged it.  Used Hirams boot cd mini xp & formatted C; drive.  I'm back up & running.again. 

Nice work, happy computing :).

Louis

#12 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

The other 2 drives in my desktop do boot in the proper order as they were.  Thank you all for you help.

#13 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

YW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users