Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates - 30 Day Notification

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SWATcomputers

SWATcomputers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

Have any of you computer kings figured out how to disable the "Windows Update needs your help" notification that appears after 30 days of no windows 8 updates? Is there a registry fix for this yet? Apparently you can't stop this occurance from control panel.

This is just a little bit rediculous if the computer remains offline and never connects to Windows update servers.

Here is what the screen looks like:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/319404

Existing Forum on the interwebs for this problem:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2eb389c8-f8c0-472a-9d9d-e3e328a055eb/windows-update-needs-your-help-notofication-message

Thanks,

Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 geeksalive

geeksalive

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:29 AM

Here are some more screenshots:

http://www.geeksalive.com/windows_update_needs_your_help/

"Windows Update Needs Your Help" pops up every 20 SECONDS?!?!  Even if it were true that Windows Update wasn't working, it would still be pure insanity to interrupt a user's work EVERY TWENTY SECONDS because of such a problem.  But in this case, it's nonsense: Windows Update successfully checked for updates TODAY.

Since Bill Gates left, Microsoft is obviously run by incompetent boobs.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

Here are some more screenshots:

http://www.geeksalive.com/windows_update_needs_your_help/

"Windows Update Needs Your Help" pops up every 20 SECONDS?!?!  Even if it were true that Windows Update wasn't working, it would still be pure insanity to interrupt a user's work EVERY TWENTY SECONDS because of such a problem.  But in this case, it's nonsense: Windows Update successfully checked for updates TODAY.

Since Bill Gates left, Microsoft is obviously run by incompetent boobs.

That's just insane.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

Open the Control Panel and click on Troubleshooting.

When Troubleshooting opens click on Fix problems with Windows Updates, this is under System and Security.

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run sfc /scannow in Windows 8 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to 

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run sfc /scannow in Windows 8 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens type in sfc /scannow (please note the space between sfc and /scannow), then press Enter.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

If it does find integrity problems the scan will continue.  This will take a while, please have patience and allow it finish.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above. 

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic.

Copy and paste the following in the Elevated Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic. 

You will see a window similar to the one below.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens type in sfc /scannow (please note the space between sfc and /scannow), then press Enter.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

If it does find integrity problems the scan will continue.  This will take a while, please have patience and allow it finish.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above. 

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

Copy and paste the following in the Elevated Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RustedKnight

RustedKnight

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

I ran into this issue when working on a Windows 8.0 laptop.  The fix for this case was to run disk cleanup and select "Clean up system files" and wait for the utility to run.  I then cleaned up ALL system files and folders.  It appears that the laptop was upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 and was either shut down before the update finished (a three hour process) or the update failed.  In any case the error message no longer appears every 20 seconds

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:32 PM

I've never seen this. On my systems I generally do updates (well the subset of available updates which I consider to be worth doing) within a few days but I've used machines which haven't been updated for weeks on end and never seen this. I wonder if it's something that has been introduced in one of the many updates to the windows update client(wuauclt) which came out a few months back? Oh hang on, that first post is very old, too old to be something caused by relatively recent updates to wuauclt.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users