Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake NSA Scam Pop UP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GamerGal

GamerGal

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

I get an alert from Yahoo my password may be compromised.  I check my email and sure enough dozens of spam mails in my sent box.  So change the password.
A few minutes later Avast goes nuts, finds like 3 things but blocks them.  Then an "NSA" pop up thing shows up on my computer telling me I have illegal images on my computer. To unlock my computer I simply need to spend 300 dollars on a greendot card and pay my "fine",  They "Desplayed" several of the illegal images on the screen.  First of all, Desplayed? Really?  Desplayed?  If you're running a scam make sure you use spell check!
Anyways, started in safemode, no network connection, ran Avast, found nothing.  So restarted again but it pops up as soon as the main screen loads.
So restarted and instead of choosing my profile selected Admin.  Nothing pops up so am now running Avast again.  Quick Scan found nothing so did the full scan which so far has found nothing and is past 50%.
How the **** do I get rid of this damn thing?  If Avast doesn't find it what will?  How do I delete what ever this thing is?
Please and thank you to whoever can help!
Posted from parent's laptop

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GamerGal

GamerGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

Ok, google had some info but it was too confusing.  I know it is a scam guys but I need to know how to remove it!  Would malwarebytes be more effective than Avast?  My friends have always sworn by Avast so always used it

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Hello GamrGal, please use this guide and let me know.

PRISM and NSA Internet Surveillance Program Ransomware Removal Guide

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 GamerGal

GamerGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

It is gone!  Malwarebytes worked.  I couldn't believe how stupid it was.  The words that were spelled wrong were the funniest to me.  Thankfully I'm not sending my money to Nigerian Princes or the NSA today!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Great!! if you want to looks at the system for issues run.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
    Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

ADW Cleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
    [list]
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin to scan your computer like it did before.
  • After the scan has finished...
    <-insert any special instructions here for what to uncheck OR remove this line if there are none->
  • This time click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) will open automatically (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 JERBRA4651

JERBRA4651

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

I recently was browsing the internet and came across this pop-up. It did not lock my laptop. I was wondering should I be concered or not.

#7 Guest_LighthouseParty_*

Guest_LighthouseParty_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

Hi Jerbra4651,

Please start your own topic for better assistance :)

Click 'start new topic' at the top of this page.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:28 PM

Run the tool in post 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users