Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New 8.1 account set as Admin, but doesn't work as Admin

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 way2ob2se

way2ob2se

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

I'm just getting a new HP Envy 700-010 computer set up. Came with 8 and then was upgraded to 8.1

I started with a Microsoft id, which set me up as Administrator, and that's working fine.

I set up a Local account with Type = Administrator, which it shows in the User Account profile.

I expected that this new Admin account would be a full-on Admin, with the ability to see and edit all files, pictures, documents, etc.,  including system "stuff," but it does none of that.  If I check the Properties/Security on a folder/file, it will show the account, saying that it is Admin, and showing the same controls as my Admin account, but it is unable to see any of the Library documents which reside in the structure under my Admin name (which is where I pasted them after copying from my Win 7 machine).  I haven't really done any other testing to see what else it could/could not do, once I found it couldn't even pick a new account picture for itself.

Are my expectations wrong, or is there something else I should have done, or done differently? I have deleted and then recreated it. I haven't done anything with Homegroup, as there is nothing to share. Should I?   We're a single computer/printer home.

My goal is too have only two accounts.  This new one as Admin account and a new Standard account for daily use, both as Local Accounts....then remove my Microsoft Admin user account. 

Thanks for your help.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

Have You taken ownership of them?

This should work in windows 8.1 too. It works in My Windows 8.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder

Read the directions.

An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 way2ob2se

way2ob2se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Roger

Thanks for the quick reply and info.  When I get to the Advanced Security Settings page, it shows that Administrators have "full control."  Since the new account is Admin shouldn't it also have full control by default?   I'm worried about making this kind of change (taking ownership of folders/files), because that's only a small piece of the problem.

I really need the new Admin account to be a true Admin account.  I need to figure out why it's not behaving that way.  I don't dare delete my pre-set Admin account if I know that my new local one is bogus. Do local Admin accounts have less privileges than Microsoft log-in Admin accounts (other than downloading from the store)?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

As I see it the Admin account is a strange thing. Some things You still have to do. Example Run the DOS cmd prompt then right click on it and run as Administrator. Two different things. One is just titled cmd the other, once I allow it to run in UAC is titled Administrator: cmd

I wish I could be more helpful but it has been that way on several Windows 7 computers and a Windows 8 computer that some things just need to be allowed in the UAC.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

There is the true Administrator account which as a UID of 500 and that has been the way since Windows NT was introduced.  In Windows NT 4.0, 2000, and XP there was no such thing as UAC which undoubtly introduced security issues as the first account created was a super user with limited administrative capabilities.  This allowed malware to successfully propagate on these systems without needing to perform privilege escalation.  With Windows Vista, Microsoft instituted a UAC (User Access Control) to give these new limited administrative accounts the option of more security through having the user intervene upon installation of drivers and other system tasks such as installing updates and browser enhancements.

These actions through UAC are very limited in nature, and only on a temporary basis. 

Disabling UAC for most users is ill advised, as that makes installation of malicious software much more easier if you do not practice safe browsing habits.

#6 way2ob2se

way2ob2se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

hmmm...I must not be explaining well what I see as the problem. I in no way want to disable UAC or lessen any security. I have no problem with the popup "must be Admin, gimme an Admin password" box

What I want is to create a new Administrator account that will be a Local Account, only for use when something needs the permissions of the Admin. I've also created a Standard Local Account to be used 99.9% of the time. I want to delete my current Microsoft Admin login (full name + email), as I have no need of it and would prefer it not to be out there in the "cloud."

To this end I created a new user, and gave it Admin privileges, fully expecting that it would be able to do everything my pre-fab account does. Shouldn't that be possible? Am I nuts? (be gentle)

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Have a read here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/how-to-make-an-admin-account-on-windows-8/371a47a1-1188-4b93-9d81-7faae48a0cc8

It will discuss how to create and manage accounts on your Windows 8 Machine.

#8 way2ob2se

way2ob2se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Madman, thanks for the reply. I already did all those steps in order to create a new account and then change it's type to Administrator. That all worked fine. When I go to the "manage other accounts" page - it shows the new account, with the type as Administrator. I didn't experience any problems setting it up. I have also deleted the user and then recreated it the same way, and it shows it's an Administrator account.

But...when I log in and use the new account, it doesn't appear to be acting like an Admin account. My expectation was that an Admin account would, for instance, be able to open a folder/document created by any other user. Instead, I get 'access denied' messages. I thought Admins had access to everything, whether they were "first user" or an Admin account created later.

Should I be doing something like "taking ownership" (as suggested earlier in this post) at the c: prompt and d: (backup) prompt? I haven't seen any references like that while researching my problem.

Should I setup a "Homegroup" even with no sharing needs? Would that help?

Thanks so much for your assistance and your patience. I'm really flummoxed.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yes you will need to take ownership of the files, due to the nature of the NTFS File System security mechanisms. This is done, so that if your drive is stolen no one can read the data on it.

#10 way2ob2se

way2ob2se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

I wanted to tell you guys thanks for your assistance. I think I'm going to throw in the towel and surrender and get someone on site, like the Geek Squad or something, because I just don't understand enough about this new OS.  I've spent hours and hours, day after day trying to do this, and I'm just over my head.  Finding a little info here, and a little info there just isn't working. This OS should have come with a freakin' manual for non-techs, and the MSoft pages are useless.

I do appreciate the help. (Cryptodan, you've been helpful on more than one thread for me, and I'm grateful.)

way2ob2se I am. 

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hi, Good Luck, however..................

But...when I log in and use the new account, it doesn't appear to be acting like an Admin account. My expectation was that an Admin account would, for instance, be able to open a folder/document created by any other user. Instead, I get 'access denied' messages. I thought Admins had access to everything, whether they were "first user" or an Admin account created later.

Even an Admin does not just have access to everything without some necessary steps. In the Case of Some other accounts files for example even an admin needs to take ownership first. That is a security item.

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 way2ob2se

way2ob2se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Roger, thanks for the very clear response.  Now I understand that my expectations were what is "wrong" here.  I adamantly assumed it would have god-like privileges so was sure something was really screwed up.  Now I get it.  (maybe the response to my question as to whether I was nuts should have been a resounding YES!)  So, perhaps I can slog through this after all.  I've heard some pretty scary stories about some of the on-site techs who just splashed around on the users dime - and these are from people I personally know.  :nono:    They certainly can't have the level of knowledge that you guys do, so as long as you don't kick me out of the forum, I may be back with more questions later.  :bowdown:

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

We are here for your assistance if you need anything.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hi

Warning! Please read this first.
Be very careful what You do with GodMode. You could cause the computer to not boot.

Since You can change settings adversely, Please back up First.

You can always play around with GodMode..........

How to Unlock GodMode in Windows 8

It may be hard to find your files in Explorer on Windows 8. Due to the hidden functions, you are limited in your file searches and basically do not have full control of your own computer system.

The limitations can be very frustrating. Wouldn’t it be great to have access to all settings in just one folder – like having divine overall access to your computer, to have the ability to do anything, with every single option available within reach?

In Windows, this is aptly termed ‘GodMode’.

Conclusion GodMode has made it easy to access all options in one window, eliminating all the hassle of searching for files and options. GodMode is a trick that works on Windows Vista, 7 and 8.

Here is a little more information.

All of those settings are available; they are just difficult to put your finger on sometimes. For example, there are two control panels in Windows 8 - one is attached to the Start Screen and one is part of the Desktop environment

This may be what You were looking for, I haven't really tried it as I did not feel the need.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#15 sKs-

sKs-

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

i completely understand what she was saying i just got windows 8.1 and literally figured out that your profile might be labled as an administrator but truely has no rights to do anything or has the rights of a standard user (not completely sure)... but what she really meant to ask is how do you change your accounts permissions to be set as full control... or like any other previous windows administrator... 

i know i shouldnt post this link (idk what rules are about posting links)  but this is truely what she meant and this is what she should read because i read this forum and no one even came close to answering her question...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-windows-8

p.s. if u dont know what your talking about please dont confuse people

Edited by sKs-, 06 April 2014 - 05:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users