Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing/unbootable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ice00burner

ice00burner

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

For about a year my computer has been acting up, I ran about a dozen different virus programs and was able to finally start up the computer normally.

Currently I can no longer startup windows out of safe mode, prior to this it would take about 5-10 restarts before windows would load.  sometimes it would freeze at the windows logo and others at the login screen. When I am finally able to startup normally, more often than not, it would be fine for hours reguardless of what im doing.  Every once in a while during the startup it just loses all power and turns off... im at a loss..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

This could be due to any number of things, but first things first - back-up your data at the next opportunity.

This may be the next time you get the computer to work either normally or in safe mode - Windows Explorer works in both. If you cannot get it to boot into Windows at all, then use a bootable Puppy Linux CD. You can get it from here as well as instructions on how to use it :

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Then I would be inclined to check your hard drive. Run chkdsk /r at a command prompt and / or Seagate tools for DOS. If these show your hard drive to be healthy the next step is to consider re-installing Windows. If the hard drive tests show doubts about your drive, then it's time for a new drive and a full re-install of everything.

But back up your data at the first opportunity.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 ice00burner

ice00burner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Every time i try to do a chkdsk its tells me that i need to restart to run the check but nothing runs when i restart, i can only run it in safe mode.  Should I be selecting one of the few options other than safe mode? ...  I cant even run seagate for DOS, form what i understand i need to make a disk and i cant seem to do it in safe mode.  If i was not over seas this would not be as big of an issue, any other options?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

I sympathise with your difficulties, but is there no other computer you can access to create a disc ?

I ran about a dozen different virus programs and was able to finally start up the computer normally.

You must have had a reason for doing all these scans, and it is possible that some hidden remnant of a previous infection has come back to haunt you. I recently spent a considerable amount of time trying to clean up a badly infected laptop and finished up doing a re-install because I knew there were fragments of a rootkit still on the system.

As it is possible you are still infected, I suggest you post in the 'Am I infected' section of BC - this is where the malware experts live. Be patient - they are very busy people, and all volunteers. If you do post there, follow their instructions carefully, and if you don't understand something post back for an explanation.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users