Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cryptolocker

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mannyj.

Mannyj.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

We contracted that virus and it is very difficult to buy the bitcoin to pay for the ransom. Does anyone out there have any simpler and faster way to pay for this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

The most common payment offered at this point is Green dot Money pak. There's also a variation (I believe) that accepts Ukash.

Future inquiries should be posted here (for your convenience) .

#3 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

yes, do not pay them! Even if you do give them their ransom, they will not unlock your computer. Do you have a backup of your files?

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Actually, if you will read up on the thread I linked in my previous post, most of the victims who have paid have actually gotten their files decrypted. Nobody recommends paying outright, but if you have data too important to lose then it may be the only choice.

The 2048 bit encryption is simply not practical to try and break.

#5 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

I agree, you will not break the encryption code, but I would highly advise checking for a backup of the data first BEFORE advising to pay the ransom. Much cheaper and much easier solution.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yep. Backup, preferably offsite, is the best way to go. Unfortunately it's not common practice.

#7 Mannyj.

Mannyj.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

I bought the money pan and used that for the ransom payment. Hated doing that but our backup was not up to date. I can testify that paying the ransom works and we got all our files decrypted and our whole network is working perfect. We did get 127 files that were damaged but they were not useable anyways. We are currently backing up our data off site and have added extra antivirus programs to our system. Thanks for the help!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Future inquiries should be posted here (for your convenience) .

Yes, since this infection is so widespread, rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if folks posted any questions or comments in that thread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users