Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll Error On Windows Me

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MarkD

MarkD

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:44 AM

Hello,

About a week ago I received an E-Machines computer from a friend who was upgrading. I instantly installed AVG Free Anti-Virus,AdAware SE and System Mechanic 6 onto the PC.After running a few scans I discovered that there were 136 viruses,malware and adware already on the PC! I now have all of those viruses contained in the virus vault. The last scan that I did showed no viruses remaining. I then uninstalled a program which I didn't plan to use.The program that I uninstalled had some extra files which remained after the uninstall. I think that one of those files contained a DLL file and I uninstalled and deleted all of those files separately. I now realize that was a BIG mistake! Immediately after that I installed a free trial of AOL 9.0 SE and I instantly got error message 63-AYCX. Right after that I was unable to connect to the internet again! I then called AOL Tech Support and they told me that installing AOL didn't cause the problem and to call the computer manufacturer. But since the PC is out of warrranty and there is no tech support available I decided not to call. I am writing this message from my roommate's PC tonight since I have been unable to connect to the internet for about a week now. I have tried various things over the past week to try to correct the problem but nothing has worked so far.

Right after I called AOL I also began to receive constant RUNDLL error messages everytime I rebooted the PC that say: RUNDLL - Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~1.DLL I also keep receiving messages stating that the system is unstable and is constantly busy. As a result of that not even one program will run on the PC now.I have tried to type in MSCONFIG in the RUN box (to uncheck NEWDOT) but I am unable to type anything into the RUN box at all. I tried to run ScanDisk many times but it just freezes up the PC.I have also tried to run the PC in Safe Mode but that no longer works anymore either.

But tonight (after many reboots) I was finally able to get ScanDisk working again! After running SD the results showed 19,259,392 bytes of data in 3 lost file fragments! I was given three options: 1. Discard the lost file fragments and recover disk space;2. Convert the lost file fragments into files;3. Ignore and continue. Since I didn't want to just guess I decided to post a message here and ask for help in choosing the correct option. I would also really appreciate ANY other suggestions that the members of this forum can give me so that I can get my PC to run normally again.

Thanks for your help,
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:33 AM

If you can remember the name of the dll you deleted it might still be in the recycle bin, If you can try going into safe mode and use the recycle bin and restore it, You might also try reestoring other files you deleted that day.

I would also suggest backing up your data from the system even if you have to put the drive in another computer as a second drive and manually retrieving the files.

I am not suggesting this at this time but you should be prepared to re-install Windows.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:40 AM

I almost forgot Windows ME has a system restore, you might want to run this to help solve the problem and you might have to have the system install disk for this so have it handy. Run this from Windows.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:06 AM

RUNDLL - Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~1.DLL I also keep receiving messages stating that the system is unstable and is constantly busy. As a result of that not even one program will run on the PC now.

You are probably still infected. Here is a self help guide on how to remove NewDot. If you are not comfortable doing so on
your own. Please go to the second link and follow those instructions on on to prepare a Highjack This log.

How To Remove New.net / Newdotnet, Self-Help guide

Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Highjack This Log

Just please keep in mind that all Highjack This Team Members are volunteers. One must practice a little patience, when waiting for help.
I promise you though that they will get to you as soon as they are able.
Please be sure to add all of the steps that you have taken thus far. And all detailed information of what has been occuring.

Good Luck!

Edited by Scarlett, 30 April 2006 - 08:18 AM.

Posted Image

#5 MarkD

MarkD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

ThorXP thanks for your reply.But, unfortunately, since this happened over a week ago all of the files that I deleted were removed from the recycle bin by System Mechanic during its weekly cleanup.The person who gave me the computer no longer has the Win ME CD. But she did give me the Restore CD which will restore the original OS which was Win98. However,I will only use that CD as a last resort since Comcast requires Win 98 SE or later to connect to the internet. I do have a Win 98 SE CD but I don't have the product code that came with it.So I may just have to buy a new PC after all. :thumbsup:

#6 MarkD

MarkD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:29 PM

ThorXP

I forgot to mention in my original post that the first thing that I tried (when these problems began) was System Restore. But, unfortunately, SR was unable to restore my PC back to a point before the problem began. The first restore point was the exact day and time that the problem began.

Thanks again,
Mark

#7 MarkD

MarkD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:39 PM

Scarlett,

Thank you for the links and the info. I am going to try a few of the other ideas mentioned in the Hijack This prep guide before trying to remove NewDot myself.

Thanks again,Mark

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:34 PM

Your welcome Mark.

Now as a little tip, in the future try and set weekly restore points. ;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users