Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted User Profiles Popping Up Frequently

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RedBeardedTech

RedBeardedTech

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

I work in a small computer shop in NW Florida. We have been noticing a rise in corrupted user profiles. They almost always have viruses and malware on them. We know how to fix them and clean them. The question we have is, is there a single virus that is causing this? Something we should look for? We have doing autopsies after the fact and find a lot of similarities such as Coduit, Strongvault, etc. including a file on the root simply called "C:\End". Has anyone else here seen this? Any more info on this? We talk to other shops around the area and they have all noticed this trend. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hello and Welcome -

99% of these are add-ons to other simple, every day downloads.

Usually simple recent Cleaner programs like Junkware Removal Tool by thisisu and AdwCleaner by Xplode are the most common method to clean up, is you do not wish to pick into Registry items.

Please review either of these from the Downloads pages, or they are used every day in "Am I Infected" or "Virus, Malware Removal Logs" security forum areas as a simple Automoted way to remove / clean them -

Thank You -

#3 RedBeardedTech

RedBeardedTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. We know this. I was just asking if anyone else has noticed the rising trend in corrupted user profiles and if there was a specific cause to it besides the generalized term, malware. We saw a rise from maybe 2-3 times a year to about a dozen in the last few weeks.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

I think this may be more like what you wanted ........

From Norton Site -
Strong Vault is an application that is downloaded as a hidden free addition in several internet download packages.  The product appears to do what it is supposed to do but collects information from all sorts of activities.  This information apparently doesn't go anywhere maliciously but it is not HIPAA compliant as a retention of PHI protected health information.  It also keeps any other program from changing you home page or preferred  search provider from SEARCHQU which tracks your searches and records the data without distributung it.  No real problem until you try to delete it.

Conduit - From several sites -
Conduit.com is an online search engline which has a browser toolbar, which supposedly is “powered by the community”. The search engine is somewhat similar to search engines like Google or Bing, just it is smaller.
You can get infected with Conduit by installing various free applications. For example search.conduit.com is installed with VUZE, popular file sharing program and infects even MAC browsers, primarilly firefox.

There are also several other similar minor infections that are growing mainly from "sloppy downloads".

CNet and some other download sites include these or similar programs as "Wrappers" with downloads.....

Regards -

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

The bundling of software is a common practice by legitimate vendors as well as those who are nefarious. Even many Anti-virus and security vendors bundle toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. When a vendor includes an add-on such as a toolbar, they do so as a way to "pay per install" and recoup associated business costs. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads.

See About those Toolbars and Add-ons which change your browser settings - Removal Tips
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 RedBeardedTech

RedBeardedTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

Okay, thanks y'all. I guess I'm just not wording my question correctly, so I am deleting it(if I can). I am not a newb, I understand how it works lol. I was just seeing if anyone on this forum noticed the rise. Thanks again. 

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Bleeping Computer is a family oriented site where we offer assistance to those who know very little about computing. As such, our forum discussion board is primarily targeted more for the novice user as they comprise most of our membership. We provide help based on that premise since it is impossible for us to know the extent of a member's background, knowledge level and experience until we get to know them. I hope you can appreciate and understand why we do this so please don't take some of our replies as not addressing your question(s) in the manner you expected.

To answer your specific question, yes I have noticed the rise in corrupted user profiles.

#8 Skippyroo

Skippyroo

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

I often get a panel up saying that my profile cannot be accessed and asks me to take some action.

It usually happens when I am already online with my Sandboxied Chrome and some other program wishes to open my browser, so that two Chrome`s are trying to open at the same time.

Quite normal practice with many programs, including CCleaner. Some choose the default browser and some IE, which would not matter being a different browser.

I have no clue whatsoever about my profile, do not know what it is, never seen it and do not know how to access it or make any changes. Never had reason to.

Can anybody tell me how to access my profile on Chrome and how to make changes if needed ?

Edited by Skippyroo, 31 October 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Create a new browser user profile
Manage multiple users on Chrome
Google Chrome User Data Directory

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

Can anybody tell me how to access my profile on Chrome and how to make changes if needed ?

My general reply is with a hand grenade ............. and remove all Chrome Cr*p

However if there are many problems, I would contact the Chrome Forum for specific details.

Thank You -

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

My general reply is with a hand grenade .....

I tend to agree but was trying to be diplomatic posting their info. :wink:

#12 Skippyroo

Skippyroo

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

@ noknojon
"My general reply is with a hand grenade ............. and remove all Chrome Cr*p
However if there are many problems, I would contact the Chrome Forum for specific details."

I like the grenade solution, it sounds a very positive solution.
Have you put any problems to the Chrome Forum ? I have many times over the years and I am still waiting for an answer to each one of them.

When surfing the web for a clue or solution to a problem, which I do all the time with a high rate of success, I never waste my time with the Chrome Forum except perhaps for a casual and very quick glance in pure hope.

The profile problem has now gone away since I reinstalled Chrome and Sandboxie.

My thanks to all posters.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

Yes there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

#14 Spartan2000

Spartan2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

I, too, have seen a growing number of Windows 7 machines with this problem, including my own!  My laptop has recently had only Java and AVG (free) updates, and I know it is clean of malware, etc.  I am careful about Java updates as I know these cunningly have other installs ticked by default during the main installation.  I always untick both boxes.

I have yet to identify what precisely is causing this issue, but it would be good to know the culprit...

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

As this topic indicates...there are various causes and sometimes they may be difficult to trace to a specific source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users