Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All shortcuts can't be opened, settings.ini file being used by another process..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oh no!

Oh no!

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

It began a couple of weeks ago with some reckless downloading of various sound editing software. All of them sucked, so I uninstalled all of them and was careful not to get suckered into downloading extra stuff (i.e. toolbars). I ended up contracting the dlinksearch virus anyway, which redirected my links to the dlinksearch webpage. I ran mbam, adwCleaner, and Hitman Pro as suggested by this site. For a while, I didn't get my links redirected until yesterday when a link went to dlinksearch. I ran mbam again, got nothing. I used Junkware Removal Tool this time too, because I ended up leaving it out last time since Norton 360 didn't have any info on it. At that time, a couple of my taskbar shortcuts were blank pages instead of their icons and they didn't work. I thought it was an .exe file corruption or something, but weirdly enough they were working again, though still missing their usual icons. I followed the instructions as directed by here anyway and restarted the computer. But the computer didn't go to the startup screen, it instead said something about NFTS(sp?) and began scanning all the files and restoring them to default or something. I let it go on for about an hour, then when I get to my admin account (which is the only account on the laptop), a window opens labeled "Desktop Gadgets" and says "Settings.ini is being used by another process. Close the other program and the click Retry, or click Cancel to exit." It appears as sidebar.exe under processes. All the shortcuts on the desktop, laptop, and startup menu don't work. I managed to have cmd run, but I had a hard time finding it because the search engine wouldn't search. So now the search engine for the start up menu and windows browsers won't work, and I ran the sfc /scannow and came up with nothing. I followed the instructions here and here in vain and it didn't work. Now a new window shows up every time the laptop starts up labeled "Windows." It says, "Can't open this item: It might have been moved, renamed, or deleted..." I tried see if I could restore my computer to a point in time at least a month before any of this happened but there was no restore point. Need help please!

Edited by hamluis, 28 October 2013 - 10:26 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Sounds like registry corruption. You may have a rootkit Trojan, but I'm not certain.

Have you ever created a restore point before, or do you know for certain if any restore points have ever been made?

Can you get into Startup Repair?

#3 Oh no!

Oh no!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yes, I can get into startup repair. I had not have had to  create a restore point before since they were always created without me having to do so, but this time nothing showed up.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,562 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Try creating a new Admin account then delete the old one.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-new-user-account-in-windows-vista-7/

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Oh no!

Oh no!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

Everything works on the new admin account. Can anyone explain why this is so?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,562 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

You had registry corruption in the original Admin account, possibly from running Hitman.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users