Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy Files To - Where is the saved file ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

I am copying files from My Docs to external Hard drive, . . . .

Yesterday I moved some files from F: Drive to C: drive to make space,

I went to copyfiles to E Drive External HD and noticed in My Computer it appears

as E: (NTSF) (H:)., . .  I did not noticed the (H:) before, . . what did I do, . .

where is the file I saved ? It did not go to the place I copied it to ?

I checked a note pad there and the new entries were not on it ?

But when I copied the notebook only it went to the file I copied it to

I know this because an entire folder is missing on the folder in  Ex HD File

Edited by Jove, 28 October 2013 - 10:05 AM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

You give drives names, Windows allocates drive letters, see the attached image from my computer :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/36/agpm.jpg/

In my case, LaCie (M:) is an external USB connected 250 Gb drive, while Linux (L:) is a partition on my primary drive.

Would I be right in thinking you are using Windows Explorer, or some similar 3rd party utility, for this ?  Then 'Drag and Drop' is the way to go. I move files around all the time and it is very reliable. The only thing is you need to be careful with the 'Drop' bit !  The reason files may seem to disappear is that you have dropped them in the wrong place, which is very easy to do if you have 'Aero' turned on and you get this blue splodge around them as you move them.

You say you were doing this to free up space on a drive. Just remember that moving files from one drive to another is a copying process - the original copies of the files are still in their original positions and once you have copied them - and assured yourself that they have copied - you need to delete the originals to free up space. And if you are using the recycle bin, you need to empty that to actually get rid of them and free up the space.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 30 October 2013 - 07:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users