Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fumes emitting from Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dombev30

Dombev30

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hi,

The laptop screen started flickering when power and battery was in, fumes then started to come from the laptop when I disconnected the power cable and re-connected it.

The laptop works fine using only the battery but when connected to 2 different power cables, fumes start to emit from it but it doesnt overheat.

Could this be an internal problem or battery problem?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Please explain the two different power cables.  

Are you using the proper power adapter and cable?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Dombev30

Dombev30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

Yes, both are compatible with the laptop

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

fumes start to emit from it but it doesnt overheat.

It isn't clear from this part of your post which 'It' you are referring to - the laptop or the battery ?

In general, fumes of any sort coming from electrical / electronic equipment is a bad thing and not to be encouraged !

There are two components involved here - one, the voltage / current regulator circuitry on the motherboard where the power lead plugs in, and the other is the battery itself. The voltage / current regulating components can fail, and smoke in the process, but they will not usually do this for long. Batteries can fail in strange ways and emit fumes in the process, but they usually get hot, or at least warm, while doing so.

As you say this only happens when you have the battery connected through the charger to the mains, I would suspect a failure of the regulating circuitry which is allowing over-voltage to the battery. I would suggest you take the base plate of the laptop and have a look at the motherboard for any signs of charring or burnt / blackened components. If there are any, you are looking at a new mobo at least.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

fumes start to emit from it but it doesnt overheat.

It isn't clear from this part of your post which 'It' you are referring to - the laptop or the battery ?

In general, fumes of any sort coming from electrical / electronic equipment is a bad thing and not to be encouraged !

There are two components involved here - one, the voltage / current regulator circuitry on the motherboard where the power lead plugs in, and the other is the battery itself. The voltage / current regulating components can fail, and smoke in the process, but they will not usually do this for long. Batteries can fail in strange ways and emit fumes in the process, but they usually get hot, or at least warm, while doing so.

As you say this only happens when you have the battery connected through the charger to the mains, I would suspect a failure of the regulating circuitry which is allowing over-voltage to the battery. I would suggest you take the base plate of the laptop and have a look at the motherboard for any signs of charring or burnt / blackened components. If there are any, you are looking at a new mobo at least.

Chris Cosgrove

Like Chris said, you will want to check for any black spots, If you cant find any then I would suggest investing in a new battery and or a new charger. Most likely the charger would not be the issue due to the fact that you have two. Over voltage may be an issue with your motherboard or simply an issue with one of the chargers. 

Hope this helped and good luck to you! :) 

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users