Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 network cards on server

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 uk_techy

uk_techy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

Hello People

I am having a slight issues configuring the 2 network cards on my server
I have a onboard network card and a additonal one and both cards have been detected on the network connections
The operating system i am running in windows serve 2012 which has the hyper v console on it, my aim is to run virtual machines on hyper v

I was told i should use one network card for the physical host and the 2nd network card for the virtual machines. Im not sure how to set this up or if i have set this up

I have created a virtual switch on hyper v and have selected which network card will be used for the virtual machines, however in network connections only one network card seems active how do i know which card is being used for the physcial or if its been used or shared with the virtual host.

This seems very confusing and i would appreciate your help

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

uk_techy, I'm not one to type out what is already on a web page, so http://blogs.technet.com/b/jhoward/archive/2008/06/16/how-does-basic-networking-work-in-hyper-v.aspx might help. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 uk_techy

uk_techy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hi CaveDweller2

Thanks for sending this, the post explains if you have just one nic which im familair with already and know how to create a virtual using the single nic card

I have 2 physcial NIC's which is going to be a different ball game

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

If you look at the second to last picture, I think it shows you that you Nic #1 is set to bind only with the Virt network switch and set the second nic to everything but the virt network stuff. or am I looking at it wrong? I know that is not what he is talking about, he is talking about that is the long way to get your virts to talk to the host but wouldn't that work? Just get them on different subnets and don't link the second nic to the virts in any way so they can't talk to one another. 

And if I am reading the first answer to the question on this page http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f70980a0-8d43-4873-8821-eb3476aba558/2008-hyperv-host-2-physical-nics-optimal-config-help- that is what he is suggesting.

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Hyper-V or virtualizing in general, haven't had a chance to do more than dabble.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users