Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with Cursor after Removal of TuneUp Utilities

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamchaser_jc

Dreamchaser_jc

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

Dear all,

It's been a while since I last posted over here. I'm helping a friend with her laptop and I've tried everything. I need help. Here's the problem:

The Acer laptop has Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) installed and she is now having trouble logging in to Windows. It's just a black screen with a movable cursor. The last changes to the system was the uninstallation of a software (which I found out later is called TuneUp Utilities).

I saw a thread elsewhere (http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?s=01d68ab23aa57dc1f5acb75027eca482&showtopic=116255) having the same issue but nothing came up.

So far, I've tried using the "Repair Your Computer" option (F8 during boot) but there were no restore points to fall back to. Next, I tried Startup Repair but it didn't find any problems.

The last thing I did was bring up Command Prompt
and tried to run the "sfc /scannow" command but got the following message:

There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.

One thing to note, I opened My Computer from Command Prompt and saw that the partition (C:) on which Windows is installed has only 48 KB out of 14.6 GB. Wondered if that could prevent a successful boot.

Please help with this problem while we look for the Windows 7 installation disc.

Thank you.

Edit: Going through the log in Startup Repair, the last line states that "boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully". Having said that, whenever the black screen appears, the hard disk is busy and then goes all quiet after that.

Edited by Dreamchaser_jc, 28 October 2013 - 08:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dreamchaser_jc

Dreamchaser_jc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

I've backed up the computer and reinstalled Windows.

Thanks.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for lletting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users