Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 acaaleks

acaaleks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:21 PM

Hi! I've got a Toshiba Satellite 2250CDT laptop with Celeron 597MHz, 192RAM, running XP Home. To get rid of spyware I use Ad-Aware SE & Spybot. Then I cleaned my registry out with RegSeeker. It got rid of 1,000 bad entries. I really can recommend it. It speeded things up nicely.
My problem is the Toshiba hardware modem which does have the latest drivers.
On my 1st webpage after bootup it's slow as mollasses. Then it seems like it's running fast & then slows down again. I connected the modem speed to close to my connection speed after trying different speeds. My temps & cache are emptied regularly. My laptop is built for Win2000. In order to run XP properly after SP2 I changed the tem setting to 60 MB & Virtual Memory to 500, to compensate for not having more RAM. I also downloaded from Toshiba modem drivers for both NT & Win2000 because I heard that XP is based on the NT kernel,whereas my previous OS was Win98 SE. XP is running ok now, but my modem is very slow. Should I get rid of the Toshiba NT & Win2000 modem drivers & stay with the XP modem drivers? My net connection is 42 Kb/sec. Any help will be appreciated. Aleks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:30 PM

If WindowsXP drivers are available for your modem, most certainly use those.

42K is a rather slow speed for a v.90/v.92 connection. Connections at that low a speed are also quite commonly unstable. If that is still what you get with the proper drivers installed, you may want to force the modem back to v.34 by adding an init string of AT+MS=V34. A slower stable connection very often has better throughput that and slightly faster unstable connection.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the tip on the Five Star Rating given RegSeeker, it's not always ya' find such a deal... and FREE. :inlove: I wish I could reply with confidence regardin' your ICP connection. I'm limited to a free dialup ISP
available here in Washington. I typically get 50.6Kbps and never see the homepage. I don't much like it's free email service, so I don't get involved there. Hang in there and I'm sure someone savvy to your specs can help, though. :flowers: BTW, a friend of mine has that same unit, I cleaned a ton o' crud out a couple weeks ago. She uses winXPpro successfully, but I have cautioned her against overloadin' it with big programs ontop of the MS Office she uses, along with a variety of digicamera apps and some others. Part of the cleanup involved installing the nocharge.com and dumpin' AOL & a forget which other free-to-try-use-our-CD-then-pay stuff that had been on it from previous owner. :trumpet: . Naturally I recommended BC to her, but I haven't yet seen her nick or telltale specs..... :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 19 November 2004 - 05:37 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users