Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any alternatives to MacKeeper?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Armand Duval

Armand Duval

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:38 AM

For mac user, is there any alternative to MacKeeper?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

I am very leery of Mackeeper.  I have no idea what it does.  It pops up all over the place.  I think it is best to:

1 - have good anti-virus software

2 - run Disk Utility on a regular basis

3 - Do Safe boots on a regular basis

4 - Perhaps, download free mac maintenance software such as Onyx (as I have) from http://www.titanium.free.fr  and use it on a regular basis.

5 - Also check your down load folder for files that you no longer need and delete them

6 - Call AppleCare at 800-MYAPPLE if you really have a problem or concern.  If you don't have an AppleCare protection plan, the most you will pay Apple, if anything, is $19 for an incident that they will work with you solve for up to 30 days.  Believe me, it is a bargain and has helped me many times with Macs that no longer have the AppleCare protection plan.  By the way, when you purchase a new Mac it is a bargain to purchase the three years of support for hardware and tech problems called AppleCare.  When AppleCare runs out or if you purchase a $19 incident, you are only helped with OS X and Apple software and not hardware.

Also, when you purchase a new operating system from Apple and now Mavericks is free, you get 90 days of AppleCare technical support.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,132 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

In the article linked below it lists other software that can be used  that the Mackeeper offered. Without the problems associated with Mackeeper.

The Safe Mac » Beware MacKeeper

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Armand Duval

Armand Duval
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

Thank you, tgdetjen & buddy215. Both your answers are helpful. Unfortunately, only x has no Mavericks Edition currently. Do you have any experiences in MacBooster or Cocktail? (I found them on download.cnet.com). Thank you in advance.

#5 roll

roll

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:05 AM

http://download.cnet.com/mac/maintenance-optimization/3150-18512_4-0.html?tag=bc   Choose one for your Mac

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,132 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

OnyX says it is under development for Maverick.

Some help in these links if you are having problems with Maverick.

The Apple OS X Mavericks installation troubleshooting guide | Computerworld Blogs

Upgrading to OS X Mavericks? Here's how you'll benefit — and what to expect - NBC News.com

I wouldn't recommend any of those downloads at cnet. MacBooster is an IObits program...don't trust IObits.

Are you having any specific problem or want to do any specific thing to your computer?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Onyx is a good product from a trusted company.  It is worthwhile to wait for Onyx for Mavericks.  It is still under development but should be ready soon.

#8 Armand Duval

Armand Duval
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:27 AM

OnyX says it is under development for Maverick.

Some help in these links if you are having problems with Maverick.

The Apple OS X Mavericks installation troubleshooting guide | Computerworld Blogs

Upgrading to OS X Mavericks? Here's how you'll benefit — and what to expect - NBC News.com

I wouldn't recommend any of those downloads at cnet. MacBooster is an IObits program...don't trust IObits.

Are you having any specific problem or want to do any specific thing to your computer?

Thanks buddy215, I don't trust cnet editor so much now. But I picked up cocktail & macbooster because there are many positive user reviews about them, are these also fakes?

#9 Cordell Carter

Cordell Carter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

I am very leery of Mackeeper.  I have no idea what it does.  It pops up all over the place.  I think it is best to:

1 - have good anti-virus software

2 - run Disk Utility on a regular basis

3 - Do Safe boots on a regular basis

4 - Perhaps, download free mac maintenance software such as Onyx (as I have) from http://www.titanium.free.fr  and use it on a regular basis.

5 - Also check your down load folder for files that you no longer need and delete them

6 - Call AppleCare at 800-MYAPPLE if you really have a problem or concern.  If you don't have an AppleCare protection plan, the most you will pay Apple, if anything, is $19 for an incident that they will work with you solve for up to 30 days.  Believe me, it is a bargain and has helped me many times with Macs that no longer have the AppleCare protection plan.  By the way, when you purchase a new Mac it is a bargain to purchase the three years of support for hardware and tech problems called AppleCare.  When AppleCare runs out or if you purchase a $19 incident, you are only helped with OS X and Apple software and not hardware.

Also, when you purchase a new operating system from Apple and now Mavericks is free, you get 90 days of AppleCare technical support.

Wow, cool.~ thanks for sharing.

#10 jereremy_s

jereremy_s

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Do you have any anti-virus software installed? I recently switched from windows to mac and I'm not sure what I should use on my mbp.

#11 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

You should definitely have anti-virus software for your mac.  We have two Macbook laptops.  On one I have a paid subscription to Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security for Mac 2014, which I like a lot.  On my wife's computer we have a free anti-virus program which works very well.  It is from Sophos.  The website is:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

There are viruses for macs and also as a courtesy to your PC friends, you don't want to pass on viruses to them.

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Do you have any anti-virus software installed? I recently switched from windows to mac and I'm not sure what I should use on my mbp.

You will get different answers depending on who you ask and/or who responds.

The reality is that there are very few Mac threats in the wild. Most stories about Mac malware usually end up being more "proof of concept" type scenarios rather than an actual threat out in the wild (i.e. actually infecting people's computers). I am not actively aware of any viruses or worms. There have been some trojan horses that have hit the wild.

As a result, there a LOTS of Mac users that do not use anti-virus software on their Macs.

Personally, I am not one of them. I will readily admit that it may be a waste of money on my part (I use Intego's VirusBarrier) and waste of my computer's resources as the odds of me getting infected are very, very small. BUT...I am the type of person that likes to be cautious. So, I use anti-virus software on my Macs...as I have since the days before the Mac OS was "Mac OS X" (i.e. back in days of Mac OS 6, 7, 8, and 9) and back then there actually were significant viruses for Macs.

So, I would certainly suggested, but I also understand those that choose not to do it.

#13 techgeek88

techgeek88

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

Not a fan at all of MacKeeper, always thought it was a gimmick.

My favorite util's are as follows:

Onyx

CCleaner

Disk Diag

Disk Diag is actually a relatively new app in the App Store that is a great simple temp file/junk remover. It's fast and it works great. Piriform now makes CCleaner for Mac, which is great as well, although generally I prefer the other two. Onyx is great when you really need to dive deep to clean a lot of deep places in the Mac. It also lets you run cron scripts, rebuild directories, and repair permissions. It also does a SMART scan and a few other things.

#14 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

The Mavericks version of Onyx is now on their site.  I use the Mountain Lion version and like techgeek88 find it very useful.  It has helped me many times.  It is free and available at  http://www.titanium.free.fr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users