Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Renumber files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

I have a folder with 189 .mp3 files. They are supposed to be played in  sequential order, but my phone won't follow the layout, some numbers are 2 digits, some 3, and some have letters as subscripts. I want to renumber them from "001" to "189". Hopefully  my phone will then play them in order. 

Here is the kicker; I want to do it via the Command Line.  Or a batch file would also suffice. I really need the practice.

ETA Each file has it's own name, of varying lengths, which I would like to keep.

Edited by Bezukhov, 27 October 2013 - 09:57 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

I use a tool, Bulk Rename Utility..which you may find useful for such tasks. 

Louis

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem actually lies not in the file names, so much as it does to the medium used to store them. The files are on an SD card, and my phone will read and play them how it wants to play them, not how I want to hear them. I'll just put up with turning the repeat and shuffle options off, and manually looking for the next segment in the series.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users