Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

United Kingdoms storm

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

Encase any of you are unaware there is a storm coming to the UK overnight and into tomorrow.

The storm will bring winds up to 80mph and very heavy rain which is cause very bad flooding and traffic.

More news here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24690552

I hope those who are in the places affected are well and will be safe during the storm.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Best wishes to all involved .. Stock up on some supplies to last a week..
We had hurricane Sandy here 1 year ago today..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

How scary. Although I was in the zone which was affected, my area was let off lightly compared to other parts of the UK. One person has suspected to have lost their life at this time.

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

It sure does look like a whopper..Be safe.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

We were hit by Hurricane Higgins.

#6 roll

roll

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

Best wishes to people involved. 

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

What are you looking at?  I looked at UK radar from two different sites today and see nothing but scattered showers.  What am I missing?

Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:21 AM

What are you looking at?  I looked at UK radar from two different sites today and see nothing but scattered showers.  What am I missing?

Here is Hurricane Higgins in action.

higgins-580_54306a.jpg

#9 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:46 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24691514

#10 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:26 AM

Dear Darktune

I take it that you live in the UK?Well,I live in South Florida & know  all about storms....I'm praying it passes you by & if it does hit I hope it dies down to nothing at landfall.....Is this not uncommon for the UK in general?

Make sure you are hunkered down well,remember the safest place in the worst situation is the bath tub with a mattress over you,have lots of bottled water,candles,lighter,batteries & battery operated radio,canned provisions w/manual can opener,cash,full tank of gas in the car and Gods protection & pr5ovision

Sincereley-Kwik

(newbleeping)

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#11 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

Dear Darktune

I take it that you live in the UK?Well,I live in South Florida & know  all about storms....I'm praying it passes you by & if it does hit I hope it dies down to nothing at landfall.....Is this not uncommon for the UK in general?

Make sure you are hunkered down well,remember the safest place in the worst situation is the bath tub with a mattress over you,have lots of bottled water,candles,lighter,batteries & battery operated radio,canned provisions w/manual can opener,cash,full tank of gas in the car and Gods protection & pr5ovision

Sincereley-Kwik

(newbleeping)

Hey newbleeping,

Yes I'm from the UK and yeah I hear in Florida storms are more common and are much worse than here in UK. The last time we had a storm like this one was five years ago.

Turns out the storm has passed the part of the UK I am living in but is now finishing it's journey over the UK. Around me there wasn't too much damage a free trees fell and such but in some parts of the UK over 10,000 people are without electric/water/gas.

Darktune

#12 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

.Is this not uncommon for the UK in general?

Yes. You would laugh at what we call storms. The 'storm of the century' was predicted by our weather forecasters. As it turnt out, most it could have been avoided by walking backwards - slowly.

#13 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Hey Darktune,I am very glad the storm passed you by but I do feel awfully sorry for all those people that are without their utilities,thank God it was only a few trees & no one was hurt

KingOfIdiocy,You are very funny,and it is good that you all can joke about it....here in the southern U.S.A,,when you mention "storm"we just pray its not a hurricaine,we have had our share of major ones but then we also had the media hype and a few lawn chairs get knocked over                                                                            

Very truly,Kwik

(newbleeping)

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#14 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Four people died, one young lad swept away and one person unaccounted for, otherwise the problems were loss of power, flooding etc.

The UK got off lightly, it always does, compared to the disasters occurring regularly across the Globe. 

As regards hurricane Sandy, boopme, there was a news item on BBC 24, saying that despite the promised aid, two thirds of victims are still without Federal support. No change there, then.

Edited by petewills , 31 October 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#15 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

Four people died, one young lad swept away and one person unaccounted for, otherwise the problems were loss of power, flooding etc.

The UK got off lightly, it always does, compared to the disasters occurring regularly across the Globe. 

As regards hurricane Sandy, boopme, there was a news item on BBC 24, saying that despite the promised aid, two thirds of victims are still without Federal support. No change there, then.

I agree we always get off lightly, however deaths are still deaths and are a sad and unwanted occurrence in these situations. 

Edited by Darktune, 31 October 2013 - 08:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users