Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird Server Connection Timing Out

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:44 PM

Hello,

I use Tbird as my default email client. I've added YPOP's to it so I can import my POP3 mail from Yahoo. Everything was going along fine until about a week ago. I would click on "Get Mail", the progress bar would run, but no mail would download. Eventually, the Alert: "Connection to server localhost timed out". This happened once last week, and then again over the last two days. Long story short, I finally decided that when my POP3 email has any pictures, even 1 if large enough, that seems to time out my server connection. I imagine all I have to do is change some setting somewhere, but I'm not sure in which program. YPOP's, Tbird, or AVG? AVG took over Tbird's email scanning, and of course that slows down email delivery, so.. Am I on the right track here? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Matt169

Matt169

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:24 AM

Hello

sorry i didnt find much but i would hate to leave a post with no reply so i will give a few hints

found this ..

Note: Do not delete the file, just move it to somewhere else such as the Desktop, or even if you delete it to the recycle bin to not empty it and you can always restore it as long as you dont empty it fully

Slow Thunderbird e-mail load fix. I don't know the reasons why but I know this works. There is an e-mail file that gets built each time you open e-mail that is corrupted. It is: {inbox.msf}. Close Thunderbird. Find {inbox.msf} and delete it. DO NOT DELETE the file {inbox} which has no extension as it contains all of your e-mails. Open Thunderbird and a new, uncorrupted {inbox.msf} file will be created. This may take a little while the first time. To test all is well, close Thunderbird and re-open it and it should open quickly. The biggest problem is in finding {inbox.msf}. Mine is burried in Documents and Settings. Here is my path. C:\Documents And Settings\<my personal directory with my name on it>\Application Data\Thunderbird\ Profiles\qvf0hxvq.default\Mail\<your IPS server here>\inbox.msf. Good luck

Adapting to make it easier to read by Matt..

1. Close Thunderbird and locate inbox.msf

2. Move it somewhere out of the 'profiles' folder eg to the desktop

3. Open thunderbird and try checking your mail again

hints for using the above possibly...

1. use the Start > Find option and search for 'inbox.msf' instead of looking for it manually

2. as said before do not delete the file as such

3. keep thunderbird closed while you do this

Edited by Matt169, 30 April 2006 - 08:35 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:44 AM

You could also experiment by turning off AVG's E-mail scanning function to determine if it is causing the problem. Yahoo scans E-mails before they hit your inbox, so you are relatively safe in turning off AVG.
Did you make any changes to any of the applications or download any updates to them or your operating system recently that might cause the problem?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

Hello Matt and jgweed,

This "inbox.msf" file is something I'm not aware of, but then I've only been using Tbird for a couple of months now. I did do a Search, and after checking the hidden files and folders, 10 "inbox.msf" entries came up, all dated between Apr 13 and the 30th, today. Any reason I should have so many?

Maybe I didn't pull up the right file or folder here, because all of them have the "msf" extension, and you warned me not to delete the one withOUT the extension. So, at this point I'll not change anything here until I hear back from you.

What I DID do, was turn off AVG's email scanning for now. We'll see how and if that makes any difference. I would like to pass a couple of thoughts by you for your advice. When I was checking out the Mozillazine forum for this issue, I did learn that "they" believe there was a problem with the autoupdater that provided the most recent Tbird update to 1.5.0.2, which I rec'd maybe Wed or Thurs of this past week. So, it was suggested that I go to the Moz site and download the "full" updated version, which I did. Upon opening my Tbird for the first time after that download, and with successive openings, two things have changed: 1- the "read" mail that I'd leave in the Inbox would not be there UNLESS I clicked on the "INBOX" word, and 2- my new mail seemed to be downloading as I'd soon see the pop up thing on my lower right side of the screen that says something like you now have "2 new messages"... BUT the new mail would not be appearing in the Inbox screen like it used to. I now have to click on the INBOX word to have it show. Any idea what these two issues are all about? Boy, I'm confused, and it sounds like many, many other Tbird users are having similar issues in the last few days. The "fixes" that the moderators are suggesting don't seem to be helping me much. I did Compact folders as they said to do (never knew to do that before). So, where to go from here? Thanks again, in advance. I really appreciate your help.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:18 PM

Did you remove the existing Tb application on your hard drive before you installed the latest complete version?
It sounds like at least TB is polling your E-mail server now; try sending yourself an Email with an medium size attachment (I think that was your original problem).
Cheers,
John

#6 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

Did you remove the existing Tb application on your hard drive before you installed the latest complete version?
It sounds like at least TB is polling your E-mail server now; try sending yourself an Email with an medium size attachment (I think that was your original problem).
Cheers,
John

Thanks John,

Something I've done has made a remarkable difference! I sent a 371kb pic from one of my POP3 addy's to my main Tbird addy and it loaded quickly, this time without me having to click on INBOX as well as the clicking on the Mail Pop Up.

I think I've not had the "Server Timing out" message since doing something yesterday, I don't know if it was the Compacting, or just turning off the AVG email scanning. I did not adjust the Server Timer feature that I think YPOP's provides. I did just turn my AVG email scanning back on, and resent the same photo. It arrived fine, in what I'd call "normal fashion", more like what I'd been used to. There were no Server Time out messages, either. Hmm, so should I do anything with those "inbox.msf" files?

To answer your question, no I didn't remove the existing Tbird app. I saw in the Moz Forum that it wasn't necessary between these two particular versions, like it was in a couple of earlier versions. Any final thoughts for me? Thanks.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I would leave well enough alone right now, as long as everything is working properly. Just glad you got everything fixed.
Cheers,
John

#8 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:22 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I would leave well enough alone right now, as long as everything is working properly. Just glad you got everything fixed.
Cheers,
John

Thanks John,

I appreciate all your help and time on this one. I'm sure learning more with each question I bring to this forum. And, I'm beginning to embrace your quote, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users