Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Installation Procedures

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bonita-g

Bonita-g

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510833/cant-reformat-drive-c/page-0 - Hamluis.

I would like to reformat my dell xp computer, but I have lost the product key to my cd. Dells says I won't need it if I install from a dell cd..Does anyone know if that is right...don't want to delete everything then find out I can put everything back...thank for your help.

Bonita

Edited by hamluis, 27 October 2013 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

Bonita,

Can you please start a new thread.

#3 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:19 PM

What model Dell is it? On my Dell 4600i(mini tower), the product key is on a sticker/tag located toward the front on the upper left side of the case. On the new Dell mini tower the sticker with the product key is located on the top rear of the case.

So look on the case and the back of the computer for a sticker/tag. If it's a laptop look on the bottom.

Any way, a few years ago I reformatted the 4600i with the Dell XP re-installation CD and it went straight on through. It did not prompt for a product key.

Before starting this process, it would be a good idea to have all of the necessary drivers on hand. Some of mine are on a couple of separate CDs.

Making a back-up image of the drive before you begin might be a wise precaution too.

Hope it goes well.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

Making a back-up image of the drive before you begin might be a wise precaution too.

This...

#5 Bonita-g

Bonita-g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

I have a dell 4600 mini tower so I will look on the side......I will also back everything up...thanks so much for yall help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users