Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

flash drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David G1

David G1

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

just recently i had the problem of using flash drives. when ever in put one in a usb port it shuts my pc down. have a hard time getting it to boot back up. monitor won't even come on. any ideas what could have happen. have 2 spare usb ports and does it on both of them

thanks for any help you can give me

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Just Basic Trouble shooting.

1. Look into the Ports and the flash drive and see if there is any physical damage?

2. If no damage then Try the flash drive in a different computer.

3. If no damage then Try a different flash drive in Your problem computer.

Here is a image showing a damaged USB port above a good USB port.

IMG_1577b.jpg

If You have a damaged USB port be sure not to use it. If the metal contacts are touching the USB port metal shell it can cause problems or damage the computer.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 David G1

David G1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

Rodger

thanks so much for your reply. I guess I have 2 usb ports damanged. not sure how this happend and was wondering if I could use

one of those multi usb connectors that will plug into a port that is good.

thank you again.

David

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

I would make sure that none of the pins in the damaged ports are touching the metal shell of the port or touching each other. Then I would use a hot melt glue gun since I have one to fill the ports and prevent them from being used.

You should be able to use a USB Hub in the Good Port. I'm guessing it is a laptop by the port count you have indicated?
If it is a laptop and does not have to be portable then I would get a powered hub as the USB ports can only supply a certain amount of power and a unpowered hub will use some of the power to run its electronics.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. if it is a desktop You should be able to add a USB card.

Edited by rotor123, 28 October 2013 - 12:05 PM.
additional content

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users