Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maintenance before system-image-backup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasBe

ThomasBe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Hello,

Before doing a system-image-backup, with Macrium Reflect (free version), do you suggest to manually execute a maintenance process (from the Action Center), in case the previous Windows automatic maintenance (or more of them) didn't run (perhaps the computer was not switched on)? Even if there is no particular alert displayed?

Or it is not important, and after restoring the system-image-backup, Windows 8 will continue to work without problems where it was left, even if months or years have passed since the backup?
It is not important to do this, even if several automatic maintenances have been skipped? (still for the same reason: computer switched off during maintenance time).

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

It wouldn't hurt to defrag the hdd, use the disk cleanup tool, run chkdsk /r, and run sfc /scannow.  You could also run Temp File Cleaner.

Please explain about the computer turning off during maintenance.

Edited by dc3, 28 October 2013 - 09:36 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ThomasBe

ThomasBe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't mean that the computer turned off during maintenance, I meant that it was not turned on. If automatic maintenance is scheduled at a certain time, and the computer is not turned on, then Windows will try to do maintenance later, when the computer is turned on but not used.

My doubt was if I should manually run the maintenance, before the system-image-backup, in case the previous automatic maintenance got skipped because the computer was not turned on.

But probably it is not necessary, because Windows would do the maintenance after the system-image-backup has been eventually restored.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

If I were cloning my hdd I would do what I suggested.

Defraging the hdd is something which need to be done periodically.

Disk Cleanup removes files you now longer use or are redundant providing you with more disk space.

Chkdsk /r verifies file system integrity, check for bad sectors and recovers data from bad sectors.

Sfc /scannow  scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users