Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Microsoft Paint

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:39 PM

LOL!!! :thumbsup: I know this is a silly question, but isn't Microsoft Paint supposed to be under All Programs and then Accessories? I thought that's where I always I found it, but now I can't find it at all! LOL!! Where is it?

Thanks!!

Michele

Edited by Luvkitty, 29 April 2006 - 09:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mspaint.exe

If you can't find it in Accessories right click it & send a shortcut to the Desktop.

#3 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:41 PM

Thanks! Another question, though. Where do I put that address? Do I put it in the address bar of AOL or Google? I tried this, and nothing came up except help sites.

Do I click on Search, and put it in there? Would it be considered a file or something? Not sure what to do next.

Thanks!!
Michele

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:32 AM

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mspaint.exe is the path you need to follow,to get to the Paint executable.
A path, just gives you directions, to a file, or folder.
Here's how to follow a path:

Double click My Computer.
Double click Local Disk (C:), to open it.

Scroll to, and Double click the Windows folder, to open it.

Scroll to, and Double click the system 32 folder, to open it.

Scroll down to mspaint.exe.
If you double click mspaint.exe, it will open Paint.

Or, to create a Desktop shortcut, as medab1 suggested, Right click mspaint.exe.
Click Send To.
Select Desktop (create short cut).
Exit C:\WINDOWS\system32.
There should be a shortcut to Paint, on your desktop.

Edited by tg1911, 30 April 2006 - 12:49 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:48 AM

This is SO weird!!! I JUST used Paint a few days ago with no problems, but now I can't find it! I followed your directions, but when I open the system32 folder, there is no mspaint listed there. I went through the entire list three times just to make sure that I wasn't missing it. How can it just have disappeared off my computer? What should I do now?

Thanks!
Michele

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:58 AM

Try Start>Run>mspaint
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:51 AM

Search pictures--

1-- http://i3.tinypic.com/wtf1pi.jpg

2-- http://i1.tinypic.com/wtf2bm.jpg

3-- http://i1.tinypic.com/wtf4lx.jpg

4-- http://i2.tinypic.com/wtf5hi.jpg

5-- http://i2.tinypic.com/wtf8fb.jpg

#8 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:20 PM

The Start>Run>mspaint Should work. If it does not I think you deleted it somehow (Which I beleive is impossible).

Edited by Nat Sci, 30 April 2006 - 01:21 PM.

Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#9 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:18 PM

I tried both Medab1 and Nat Sci's suggestions, and there is no MsPaint!! How can it just disappear off my computer when I used it a few days ago and haven't done anything to delete it? Is there a way to get it back?

Thanks!
Michele

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

If you have Restore Point to before it disappearing that might be you route. Use Add/Remove Program with you install disk and re-install it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:07 PM

acklan---first of all, I like you kitty face by your screen name! That's so cute! Did you make that?

Okay, I'm not sure I understand your advice. I don't have a disc that is for MS Paint. It was downloaded as part of Windows XP. I didn't do anything special to get it on my computer. I'm not sure how to restore it. Anything else I can try?

Thanks!
Michele

#12 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:18 PM

acklan---first of all, I like you kitty face by your screen name! That's so cute! Did you make that?

Okay, I'm not sure I understand your advice. I don't have a disc that is for MS Paint. It was downloaded as part of Windows XP. I didn't do anything special to get it on my computer. I'm not sure how to restore it. Anything else I can try?

Thanks!
Michele

If you downloaded XP from the internet,it is probably illegal.

If you have an XP CD that you installed XP with,you can reinstall Paint with it.
Or from a Recovery CD.

You might want to do a repair install.
If you are missing Paint,god knows how screwed up your computer is.
If you choose a repair install,you will need to download Microsoft Updates again.

#13 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

Actually, I used the wrong word. I meant to say, "installed" not "downloaded." Sorry about that.

If I'm going to have to reinstall Windows XP, then I might as well get some help with the problem I've been having since the night I originally installed it. Here's what happened, and maybe someone can help me figure out how to do it RIGHT this time since the tech. support guy who "helped" me actually kind of got me more screwed up than before.

First of all, I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FX150 laptop, and when I bought it, Windows ME and a bunch of other programs were already installed on it. It also came with the 2 System Recovery CD's, 2 Application Recovery CD's, and a Driver Recovery CD. At the time, I only had AOL Dial-Up. I now have SBC Yahoo DSL, but I'm still very, very new to it. I also have AOL Broadband. I don't think that stuff matters, but just in case, there you go.

Okay, here's the story. Awhile back, I was having major computer problems. They had been happening for several months, and I found myself talking to tech. support people almost everyday or every-other-day. It was insane. Finally, the conclusion was that my computer was corrupted, had viruses, etc. and was beyond help. They said that Windows ME sucked, and they suggested I buy Windows XP, and do, what I think they called, a clean install. They said that it was going to wipe everything off my computer, so if I wanted to keep anything, I had to buy an external hard drive. So, I bought a Seagate Pocket Drive and spent a few days saving everything that I wanted to keep...files, documents, pictures, programs I had downloaded off the internet, etc. I also talked to AOL to find out if I needed to put my Favorites List and Emails on the pocket drive or if they were saved on their system. Until this point, I had never backed up or saved anything to an external hard drive before. I guess I was just lucky that I had never lost anything.

When all of this stuff was done, I went to Fry's Electronics, explained to the guy there EXACTLY what it was that I was having problems with and what EXACTLY I wanted to do. He told me to buy Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, which I did. Next, I called Microsoft's Tech. Support number, and I then spent the entire night on the phone with someone who guided me through all the steps of doing the clean install. When it was installed, he helped me to reinstall the drivers for things like my scanner and printer, and he helped me to reinstall SBC Yahoo DSL, my 2wire wireless internet service, and AOL. Then we came to the MAJOR PROBLEM......a problem that I have yet to resolve and hope you can help me with now.

As I said, I had explained to the guy at Fry's and the guy at Microsoft who helped me with the installation, EXACTLY what I was trying to do. I wanted to get rid of any viruses I might have and anything having to do with what was causing my computer to be corrupt. In order to do this, I was told by other tech. support people that what I would need to do is the clean install which would wipe all the old stuff off my computer. Then I would have to install Windows XP, and next make sure I had all the anti-virus stuff working so that when I eventually put back anything that I had saved on the pocket drive, if it happened to be something that had the virus, I would be protected. After the anti-virus stuff was loaded (McAfee), I was told that the final step .......and here's where the problem happened.....would be to use the discs that had come with my computer when I originally bought it so that I could reinstall all my programs, minus Windows ME, of course.

Well, I get to this point, and the Microsoft tech. support guy says, "Oooops!! I don't know how to get those programs back onto your laptop because the discs that have the programs on them also have Windows ME on them, and you can only have one operating system on your computer at a time." So, now I've been stuck with a laptop that has Windows XP on it, but NONE OF MY ORIGINAL PROGRAMS!!! I actually have had NO WORD PROCESSING because of this (until a few weeks ago when I found out about a free program I could download off the internet called "Abiword"). It has been pretty crappy, but I've had no clue how to fix it and nobody to help me.

So, can anyone here help me to fix this problem? I STILL would like to have Windows XP on my laptop AND all my old programs, like Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Word.

Thanks so much, and sorry this was so long.

Michele

#14 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:08 PM

Have you ever clicked Start/RUN & typed in sfc /scannow & clicked OK?

Give it a shot if you haven't.

Picture--

http://i3.tinypic.com/wvde74.jpg

Another picture--

http://i3.tinypic.com/wve2jd.jpg

It's better to start simple before reinstalling XP.
Did your Photoshop have a CD of its own?
Your Word program?
A repair or clean install is simple.
Stick the XP CD in & choose the install you want from the menu & follow any prompts.

#15 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:43 AM

No, I have not clicked Start/RUN & typed in sfc /scannow & clicked OK. What does that stand for, and what does it do?

No, my Photoshop and Word programs did not come with CD's of their own. Everything came together on the same CD(s) that came with my laptop when I bought it.

You mentioned something about doing a repair or clean install, but won't I lose everything that's on my computer now that I've saved....pictures, files, etc? Are you talking about taking all the new stuff that I've saved since installing Windows XP and putting it onto my pocket drive and then doing the same thing that I did last time? What would I do differently this time from what I did last time that will let me get all my old programs back? I was a bit confused by this advice.

Thanks!
Michele :thumbsup:

P.S. I was wondering why the folder next to this thread on the main page is red and the others are blue? Just curious! :flowers:

Edited by Luvkitty, 01 May 2006 - 01:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users