Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro Loses Bi-Directional File & Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 krazybob92382

krazybob92382

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

I have a small Windows XP Pro-based file and printer sharing network in my small SOHO. It has worked for years. On rare occasions a PC would become unavailable, or "unseen" by the other PC's in the file share group "MSHOME". Usually if I powered down and brought the PC's up one at a time it resolved itself. Other times I'd have to run the Network Wizard and that might bring back the share. As you can tell I am hit and miss and don't really know what I am doing. I work with Linux every day and not Windows networking.

Another site has suggested that I don't have file and printer sharing activated and frankly this is an insult of a professional programmer of over 35 years, the CEO of a notable web hosting company, and well, an advanced user. That's my ego speaking but the bottom line is that I can see and manipulate files on two other PC's in the network and all that they can do is see me but are told Access Denied.

1denied.jpg

The specific problem I am having is that I have my main workstation titled "Desktop." I have two other workstations titled "Control 2" and "Control 3". Currently "Desktop" can see and access the files on the other two PC's and manipulate them. This PC has Norton Internet Security installed. This share has worked for quite some time. On the recommendation of another user I removed Norton and this did not resolve the problem.

A couple days ago "Control 2 and 3" could no longer see "Desktop" unless I clicked Entire Network. It would see "Desktop" but I would get an Access Denied error. Contact the Administrator. "Control 2 and 3" can see and manipulate one another.

So this is where I am at. I have deleted and re-added File and Printer sharing as a service. I have run the network wizard. No joy. Nothing I do is granting permission.

fileprinter.jpg

cdrive.jpg

Any and all assistance will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

krazybob, I am curious if this happened right around a Norton Internet Security update? You mentioned you removed it, how did you remove it? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 krazybob92382

krazybob92382
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

Thank you for your reply!

No, this had nothing to do with Norton. A user on another site specializing in Windows Networking suggested that I remove Norton that had been installed since 2011 and never a problem. He linked to a removal tool at Norton that I used to remove Norton. When that didn't work he suggested that I reset the whole thing. Thinking that he was referring to the networking I asked how to do that and I got a cryptic message in reply: hold the button down 20-30 seconds.

Humbly, I am not a rookie user but I am also not  Windows networking guy. I know of no button and feel that it was code for "you're in idiot, go away."

Norton has been installed again and the same problem continues. Control 2 and control 3 may communicate back and forth. Desktop may pull from or change files on Control 2 or 3. But Control 2 and 3 may not open a connection to Desktop and receive the Access Denied message.

I have removed networking from Desktop by removing File and Printer Sharing for Windows Networks. This did not resolve the problem. I used the Network Wizard to rediscover MSHOME and this did not work. The only way that I even see Desktop is by clicking on Entire Network and drilling down. Previously it appeared just by clicking the Network Places connectoid on the desktop.

For the record I am running a fully legal copy of Windows XP Pro SP3 as are all other computers.

My network structure that has not changed in years is a able modem at the top followed by a Netgear wireless router. It receives a static IP from the cable modem. From there the Netgear goes to a Ovislink 24-port switch and then everything is DHCP. Because of port forwarding each PC must always come up with the same IP so they have been explicitly stated in their configurations using private 192.168.x.x IP's. Like I said it has worked for years.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Firstly, I think he meant your router with the "hold down the button for 20 - 30 seconds". This would reset all the settings inside the router.

Second, I mentioned Norton because it is sorta famous for updating and screwing with settings on a computer. If you don't think that is is then OK but something changed on "Desktop" that made the normal "reboot everything to get the shares to reconnect" thing you have to do now and then on Windows machines. So it could be anything that was installed? a windows update? a driver update? something changed on that computer.

Now you can "cheat" and see if restoring back to a time it worked to see if that fixes it then maybe look at what is different. I am not familiar with all the tools they use/have available on this site, so maybe a mod or adviser could help out with an easy tool that could be run before and after a restore to see the differences? Not sure there is a tool like that lol. 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 krazybob92382

krazybob92382
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thank you for your reply but nothing was done to this PC -- no updates, nothing. The share just stopped working bi-directionally.  Why on earth would I want to reset the router if two shares are working correctly? Common sense tells us that only one PC is having a problem. Therefore, IT is IT'S problem.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

I agree common sense does say it's not the router. Which is why I say something changed on that computer. You can test it by restoring the computer back to a time it worked and see if the problem goes away. You can restore it forward again if needed.

If you don't want to do that, you could undo the shares, uninstall the NIC in Device manager, reboot, let it re-install the NIC and redo the shares. 

#7 krazybob92382

krazybob92382
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Bingo! That's what I've done in the past when this has happened. I had to also remove and reinstall the NIC. I did try a rollback and Windows wouldn't let me.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Did you get an error when you tried to restore?

#9 krazybob92382

krazybob92382
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

No error. It just told me that Windows could not restore to that date.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

Can you restore to any date? Have you checked for viruses? 

#11 krazybob92382

krazybob92382
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

When Norton was installed I did a complete system scan and no viri found.  It is too late to try to restore now. Too many changes have been made. Later when I have time I'll remove file and printer sharing and the NIC, then reinstall. That has worked in the past. Yu guys have been great with your help! Thank you!!!

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

I thought you had done the tear down, uninstall/re-install and rebuild already. Yes by all means do that. But this happens because something changes on your computer. Not when a reboot is needed, that is fairly normal but when you have to uninstall and re-install all the stuff something changed. If it happens again look for some sort of change. Good Luck =)

#13 krazybob92382

krazybob92382
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

I went back to the 17th and it still won't let me restore. I do have a full system backup and a rescue diskette but deleting the NIC is the better approach. Tight now I'm working and don't need the share because I can pull from the others. They actually don't usually need to pull from the main.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users