Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Issue, Compaq Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

You can find the system specs of the pc here, Pc specs.

What I was trying to do was install a new graphics card in the agp slot. The video card I was trying to install was a PNY 6600. But It didn't work.

I first tried to uninstall the vanta graphics card in the add/remove programs, but It wasn't displayed. So I went into the device manager and tried to uninstall it that way and it worked and I had to restart the pc. (note there is another issue that shows itself when i shut down the pc that is discussed in another thread). Yet when the pc restarts a windows message says a new device was found and it automatically installs the drivers for the vanta card like they are in its database. After this happened, i just shut down the pc and proceeded to remove the vanta card and install the pny geforce 6600. I made sure the card had power through the molex power cable and i put the case back together and proceeded to turn it on. But an error message was shown before i could even get into bios and it told me to check the video card by removing it from the pc to see if the problem persists. Which I did and guess what.... the problem persisted. So now I reinstalled the vanta card and everything is working again.

Could it have something to do with the agp slot only being x4, or could molex power cables go bad and thus it wouldn't get any power (noted by the fact that the fan wasn't spinning) or it may have to do something with the problem noted above in parenthesis and in another thread.

Other than those, I have no idea why it didn't work.

I

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:22 PM

Here is something that might help you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:29 AM

Go into Device Manager and DISABLE the Vanta graphics card - then try installing the PNY.

Also, what is the other problem that you mention - it may be related to this one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

Did you go in the BIOS and disable the integrated graphics? Assuming that it is integrated?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users