Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cleaning registry

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maxheadroom

maxheadroom

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:09 PM

I added a virtual CD program that did not work for me. I used add/remove programs and removed the software. My machine is booting quite slow. Looking in the logs, I see the following entry.
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
HekkoVirtualCD

I find entries in the registry for this product. I would like to remove them from the registry. I read to tutorial on the registry. It said to back up the registry with the backup program. That program is not available on XP home. How can I safely remove the offending entry? How to I protect my system by backing up the registry?

The followin entries are found in regedit.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\HEKKOVIRTUALCD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Cdr4_xp\Enum
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Cdralw2k\Enum
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\HekkoVirtualCD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\pwd_2k\Enum
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\HEKKOVIRTUALCD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\HekkoVirtualCD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\HEKKOVIRTUALCD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_xp
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HekkoVirtualCD

Can I just delete all of these entries?

Thanks
EZ :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 19 November 2004 - 09:23 PM

hey, maxheadroom, a good question. I have been wrapped up in the Registry studyin' also. I've used a bunch o' different registry editing programs over time. SystemMechanic by Iola was good at it, making backups each & every time you had it tackle the chore, typically as you said, after an uncooperative program was uninstalled. Basically, some software writer's just aren't any good at the uninstallation of their babies. My personal favorite came with high regard from a member in England, Thatman who swears by it. I found out why, but it was a trial-basis shareware and I'm notoriously frugal. This one is five-star rated and I will begin it's testing very soon, by-way of a Canadian enthusiast of PC use, acaaleks. It's called regseeker. Basically there are two ways to go. Edit the registry manually & back it up "manually" or do it "semi-automatically" with a recognized good program and understand how/where/when it does the backup for you. IMO. It's in the understandin' what you're doin' and why, that I call these apps "semi-automatic". :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 19 November 2004 - 09:25 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 maxheadroom

maxheadroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:15 PM

I have tested regseeker over the past week. In my opinion, it is an excellent tool. Not for the novice. You should be careful about using it. I don't care for the clean registry section. It gets a little carried away.

EZ :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users