Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help! Co-processor problems! HP-G60 121wm with Windows 8.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 KUPOkinz

KUPOkinz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

I have an HP-G60 121wm laptop built for Vista. I've jumped ahead a few years and have installed Windows 8 and everything seems to be running just fine. However in my hardware section, it is showing that a driver cannot be for for my coprocessor. Can someone please enlighten me to how I can find one? I've searched all around and have already tried to install the Vista driver but to no avail, it doesn't work. 

Do I even truly need this driver? My computer is running just fine yet I've noticed it getting very hot lately almost til the point of shutting down due to overheating. 

I'm sure this isn't good. What are the advantages of having this coprocessor and how do I go about getting a working driver? Btw, I tend to game a bit as well (slightly older titles, Morrowind, STALKER, Mount N Blade, etc.) and I'm guessing having this driver would boost my speed and FPS. 

Help please, I really do not want to revert to Vista!

Windows 8 32bit

3GB Ram

2.0ghz 

If more info is needed, allow me to post more. Kudos!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:43 AM

Hi

Please try updating the driver through device manager. That is, connect the system to internet and right click on the "Co processor" and choose "Update driver".  If there is a compatible driver available in Windows update, system will install it automatically. 

#3 KUPOkinz

KUPOkinz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

Thank you for the answer but unfortunately I've done tried this and no luck. It's telling me Windows cannot find a compatible driver. 

I know there has to be a way around this, it's a computer! Well laptop, but only limited by our technology and mind span. More answers please!? I donnnntttt wannna gooooo backkk tooo Vistaaa. :/

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Can You go into the device manager and get the Hardware ID off of the Co-Processor. I have given an example below

go to Google and search with the Hardware ID for example, Once You know the maker and what the device really is a Search of the Makers site may find the driver.

In my example pci\ven 14e4 from the Hardware IDs, when searched for in Google leads to pcidatabase.com

Which gives me the information I need, In this case we already knew it was a Broadcom, however the principal is the same.

Broadcom
Joao Antonio da Silveira, 409 casa 16
Buildings 1-8
Porto Alegre - RS, 91790-400
+84(51)9325-238

Vendor Id: 0x14E4
Short Name: Marcio
Web Site: http://www.broadcom.com/
Notes: b570e

Then putting the Hardware ID 4727 leads me to this.

0x4727

Chip Number: BCM4313 Chip Description: Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter BCM4313 Notes: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-107849-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

device-id.jpg

From the HP website, Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating

This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs.
Heat buildup can cause problems for any computer. Generally, when temperatures inside the case rise above 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit), the risk of damaging important internal components increases greatly. The most common cause of overheating is the accumulation of dust inside the computer.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 October 2013 - 12:39 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Hi

Your laptop came with an Nvidia 77M chipset. Unfortunately, Nvidia no longer produce chipset so they officially abandoned developing drivers. Unless Nvidia decided to make a Windows 8 driver, your options are limited.

Source : http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3168

#6 KUPOkinz

KUPOkinz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

No luck trying to get the hardware id, either I didn't know how or I couldn't find it in the properties.

I believe it's an AMD. There must be a fix for this somewhere! I know there's gotta be many other people with the same issue :/ I wish I knew more about dang computers myself or I'd find a solution.

Is there many some way to run a driver in a virtual environment?

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Having seen Anshad's answer I would have to say no. HP would have to decide to create or pay to have Nvidia to create a driver. As I see it the chances of either of those are zero.

You most likely have a AMD CPU and Nvidia Chipset.

Drivers run at the most basic level. More or less between Windows and the Hardware. Therefore they can cause lots of problems. As a general Rule of thumb I try never to exceed either of these. No more than one newer version of Windows or what the Manufacturers website has available for drivers.

In this case HP has Windows 7 drivers available for this model laptop. They are here.

HP lists drivers for Vista, Windows 7 32bit or 64bit.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 KUPOkinz

KUPOkinz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

Okay now that I've seen this, is my best bet to revert back to Vista/7? I really like my Windows 8.1 setup and layout. But I also want the full potential of my laptop. How much (guess please) percentage of cpu or ghz is lost without my coprocessor? 

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Or You can go to Windows 7 32bit or 64bit using the link I posted they seem to have the complete set of drivers, Utilities and software there for download.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

is it windows 8 32bit pro?

#11 KUPOkinz

KUPOkinz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yes it's 32bit Windows 8 and I'm really looking for every option that keeps me away from Vista and 7. More answers please, someone out there has to no a solution being as smart as you people are.. :(

#12 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Professional right?

Edited by Roodo, 29 October 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hi

You can try installing the "Windows 7" driver for "co-processor" by following the below instructions.

:step1: Download and Install "Winrar" from the below link.

http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar500.exe

:step2: Download "Nvidia chipset" driver for "Windows 7" from the below link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45168.exe

:step3: Right click on the sp45168.exe file and choose "Extract file".  

Like this :

extract_files_1.jpg

Choose a blank folder as destination. For example, D:\Chipset.

:step4: Now open Device manger and right click on the co-processor.  Choose Update driver and point the driver extracted folder (ie, D:\Chipset ). It may auto select and install the Windows 7 driver for co-processor. Report whether this method worked for you or not.

#14 KUPOkinz

KUPOkinz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

I've tried installing the Windows 7 driver already but I used the windows explorer installation method (original way) so I'll try it via your method and report back.

And yes, Windows 8.1 Pro 32bit 

#15 KUPOkinz

KUPOkinz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Anshad thank you, omg! Kudos to you it worked fully never thought about using this method! Thank you sooooooo much, if I could give you a hug I would. Now I don't gotta revert back to Vista/7! 

And thank you everyone else for trying to help too! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users