Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD installing Intel USB 3.0 drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 liltwixis11

liltwixis11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

I recently purchased a 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo for my desktop, for use as a system drive. I successfully installed Windows 7 x64, configured SATA mode and windows settings for the SSD, and went to install drivers (all current versions). After installing the Intel chipset driver, I attempted to install the USB 3.0 driver (included in the installation was the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host driver and a few others). I immediately got a BSOD before the installation finished. It took a few tries to boot back up again, as I kept getting more BSODs on startup. Upon starting back up, my monitor resolution had jumped down a bit (but I could change it back), and the whole taskbar had disappeared. My desktop icons were present and working, and explorer.exe was running, but I could not get the taskbar to reappear, and the start menu and taskbar configuration settings would not open. At that point I just reinstalled windows, since I had no data on the drive yet.

After cloning the new installation, I attempted to install the drivers directly from the motherboard's installation disk, in case there were some issues with the new drivers, but the same BSOD issue continued to happen. So until I can figure this out, my USB 3.0 ports are running at USB 2.0 speeds. I never had this issue on my WD Caviar Black, though I haven't reinstalled Windows on it recently. Any help would be appreciated.

Motherboard is an ASrock B75M-DGS, CPU is an i5-3570k.

8CTKeIp.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:54 PM

:welcome: to the forum mate.

Please try the below steps.

:step1: Update system BIOS.

You can download the latest BIOS ( 1.30 ) from the below link. 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=B75M-DGS&o=All

Please update to it as it may contain bug fixes.

:step2: Disconnect any device connected to the USB 3.0 port and make sure everything is connected to the 2.0 ports. Now download and install the latest driver from the below link.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21129

Report whether it helps you.

#3 liltwixis11

liltwixis11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

Heh, well that did the trick. I had thought of doing that, but I figured it wasn't the issue since the drivers from the motherboard's installation cd didn't work either, even though the bios was the same version as when I bought it. Obviously I was wrong. Thanks a lot!

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

Glad to be able to help  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users