Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window XP freeze and mouse icon freeze

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 roarer

roarer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hi everyone. I have been trying to fix thise problem for more than a week and find no progress. Since I stumble upon the bleepingcomputer.com during my search , hopefully I can receive some help from here.

Problem:

My computer freezes occassionally when I was watching youtube but in the majority of the time, it freezes while I was running the software -- Diablo III. It never freezes right away when I start the software. It also never freezes when I started up the window. I do not think it is solely related to the software cuz it also freezes when I was simply watching youtube, though not as often. The mouse icon freezes always occurs if I play Diablo III for more than roughly 15 minutes. The icon sits there but I can still actually move and click around, It is just that I cannot tell where I am clicking on the screen. If I turned off Diablo III and went back to desktop, the mouse icon still stays at the same place, and I can still click around. The temporary solution I found on bleepingcomputer is to turn on mouse trail so that I can see where my mouse actually is.

Overview of hardware and OS Attached File  computer spec.JPG   27.16KB   0 downloads

Attempts so far:

At first, I thought it is related to the motherboard and CPU capability, so I bought a new one and installed it. The problems persist. I am quite sure all installation are good and fine cause there is no freezes at all if I plugged in my second harddisk. However, I have never run Diablo III on my second harddisk.

Secondly, I suspect this might cause by Video card driver issues. I downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia, but the problems are still there.

Thirdly , I guess this can be due to computer virus cuz a few weeks before all this problems occured, I downloaded a Divx converter. I ran a quick scan then a full scan on my computer, but nothing comes up. I am perfectly fine suspecting that my anti-virus is not powerful enough to pin point the virus or spyware.

SO now I am confused, what to do next ? formatting my harddisk to try all over again =.=? If it is truly computer virus, I might have to clean my back up files too... Thanks in advance.!

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2013 - 04:17 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

since you tried your second hdd and all seems fine ,I would suggest the freezing could be caused by a hdd going bad ,using the utility  diagnostic disk from the hard drive manufacture ,I would run a full scan and check for errors

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 roarer

roarer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Thx for the suggestion, I will report after trying that

#4 roarer

roarer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

I have downloaded the digonistic tools from Western Digital site and here is the result after an extended scan :

Attached File  Harddisk scan.JPG   120.83KB   0 downloads

Seems like everything is fine, right ?.?

After the latest freeze, I restart my computer and this happened.

The motherboard load the first screen with this line : Attached File  Power surge.JPG   34.59KB   0 downloads

And the I have to Press F1 to run setup to continue the normal startup process. ( the file for the whole screen is too big to be uploaded)

This could be the problem , right?

Just to give additional information, the 2 HDD I mentioned in my first post have different content except for the basic drivers and office. I keeped them completely separate so virus from 1 disk never get into the other one.

Another thing is that I have checked my CPU temp. and it is always roughly 30 to 50 celsius. and there is no temperature spike when my computer freeze

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

ok,so it looks like the drives are ok ,so it seems to be a power supply issue

#6 roarer

roarer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

So.... is my only option to change the power supply unit? or is there any  scanner or software I can use to identify the problem and do a minor fix? or maybe some other solutions like connecting an earth wire to the computer case & such?

#7 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Make sure all your drivers are up to date. Search for any patches for diablo.
Update your chipset.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

So.... is my only option to change the power supply unit? or is there any  scanner or software I can use to identify the problem and do a minor fix? or maybe some other solutions like connecting an earth wire to the computer case & such?

i would just change it ,i would get it checked or if you have a multimeter you could check its outputs yourself,

#9 roarer

roarer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

Well guys...I took my power supply unit to the service center for warranty. The guy there ran a stress test on it and says everything is fine. So the jorney continues =.=

#10 roarer

roarer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:29 AM

so...since the freeze happen within 20 mintues if I was playing Rome 2 Total War, I am suspecting if there is sth wrong with my video card. This morning , I took my video card out and cleaned it with compressed air. Still the freeze occured. So I downloaded a software for video stability test and the HW Monitor from CPUID. Then I ran the stability test.

I went AFK for a few hours , and when I was back... my comp is frozen. and that's the data on screen 0.0 Can you guys see catch anything noteworthy?

Attached File  frozen screen cap LQ.JPG   85.99KB   0 downloads

Edited by roarer, 17 November 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#11 roarer

roarer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hey guys, a new update. I replace my newer Motherboard (with i3-3240 installed as CPU) with my old motherboard (with Dual Core E6500, an inferior CPU), and there is no more freeze at all!!  Not a soingle time, not even when I play games etc.

So, the question now... what's wrong with my set-up replacement.

I have been suspecting for a while that the following is the problem:

When I play video games and watch youtube, sometimes my video card has to draw more power to render the images. This demanded too much power from my power supply unit (550W), leading to a freeze.

Do you guys think this is likely? Is there any way to proof it ? Is there any counter evidence? Help pls / . \

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users