Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google search results high-jacked + random popups

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brokdnb

brokdnb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hello,

seems my laptop is infected. It would be great if someone could help me get rid of it.

I have Windows 8 and basically I am getting random pop ups when i go to internet sites like google or netflix which do not have pop ups.

Also, when i do a Google search, there is a section coming in above the Google paid ads called "Premium Results Ads related to *keyword*"

This is so annoying and I am worried if it affects my security when I go to online banking or even enter my PW on my email account.

Would much appreciate some help and am happy to work with you and share any additional information that might be needed. I am in Germany though, on German time, so if I dont reply right away, its because of the time difference. But I will check back in the morning.

Thanks so much in advance

Becky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hello -

Are there double-underlined words that you are referring to like the example provided in this topic (Post #1)?

If so, this is called in-text advertising and it is very common. Kontera and Vibrant are two of the more popular advertising networks that provide in-text advertising and information services.

See full post HERE

(Credit to quietman7 for the text)

#3 brokdnb

brokdnb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:06 AM

Hi, unfortunately that is not what i have. Here is a screenshot of what shows above my google search results AND when i just opened up a new firefox window, i was redirected here before google could even load: http://searchy.easylifeapp.com/?chplbf=1

also here is a random popup url

http://srv.aileronx.com/fusionx/www/delivery/afr.php?zoneid=768&cb=INSERT_RANDOM_NUMBER_HERE&_rff=px.pluginh

screenshot of google search results:

s168nq.png

#4 brokdnb

brokdnb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

noknojon  maybe i do also have what you mentioned or maybe this is part of it.. look this is how your post looks to me

however i installed the adblocker suggested in the post on this problem but i am still seeing the google search results are hijacked. :(

290sw86.png

Edited by brokdnb, 27 October 2013 - 07:19 AM.

#5 brokdnb

brokdnb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

update: i am now browsing in chrome and having NONE of the mentioned problems.

So i have uninstalled firefox and deleted all appdata for mozilla. doesnt seem like it should be that easy though. 

does anyone know if i need to do something else? id like to eventually re-install firefox and use it as my browser. 

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

@ brokdnb -
Post #4 is exactly what we meant.
Place your mouse pointer on any Double underlined word ==========and do you see any advertising seem to pop up from there ?

This is In-text Advertising.

I still get it on  few pages, but it is what they place on pages to annoy you.

All words without the lines are normal ??

Please scan your computer with ESET Online Scanner
Disable all active Antivirus and Antimalware programs
* Open Internet Explorer and hold down Control and click on This Link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
* Click the ESET Online Scanner button.
* For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
- Click on eset.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
- Double click on the  icon on your desktop.
* Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
* Click the Start button.
* Accept any security warnings from your browser.
* Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
* Click Advanced settings and select the following:
* Scan potentially unwanted applications
* Scan for potentially unsafe applications
* Enable Anti-Stealth technology

* ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
* Please be patient as this will take some time (first time scans are always longer).
* When the scan completes, click List Threats
* Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
* Click the Back button and then Click the Finish button.
NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.
If you lose the log it can be found at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
If no infections are found then please tell me -

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (a.k.a. MBAM) and save it to your desktop.
NOTE : Do not accept the Free Trial Version at this time
* Follow these instructions for doing a Quick Scan in Normal Mode.
* Check for database Updates through the program's interface before scanning.
* Click on Scanner > Place a dot in Perform Quick Scan > Click Scan
* After completing the scan, a log report will open in Notepad.
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab .
* Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
* Exit Malwarebytes when done.
* Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
* Failure to reboot normally can prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

Check the list of found items and review any PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) or PUMs Potentially Unwanted Modifications, as these can be Unticked if known to be wanted programs.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users