Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I make the recovery partition larger?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 whitestingray81

whitestingray81

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

I have a Dell Inpsiron 1525 laptop. It originally came with Vista, but my university made some deal with Microsoft and it offered a free Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade download for all the undergrads. Anyways, when I installed Windows 7, it asked me how large I wanted the recovery partition to be, so I guessed at 10GB. It seems that is just a bit too small as shorty after I start the computer now, a "disk" icon appears in the toolbar and says "Low Disk Space: You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:), Click here to see if you can free space on this drive."  When I click on it, I can delete all but the most recent backup, and the icon goes away and everything is fine. But I'd like to just increase the size of the partition so the warning never pops up again. Can this be done without screwing up the OS? I tried making another partition and designating it as a recovery, but it didn't work. I also set aside a 20GB partiion, and tried in "increase" the recovery drive in "Disk Management," but again, Windows wouldn't allow it. Any ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

turn off backup. or if you really want it you need to shrink c: giving you unallocated space
and extend d:
You could also change how your saving your backup
goto backup and restore and change settings

#3 whitestingray81

whitestingray81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually already shrunk the C:, but after that, I still couldn't "add" it to the D: partition. It would only let me add it back to C:. Very odd, huh?

And after I looked into "Manage Windows Backup disk space" I now see I can automatically delete everything but the newest backup, which is what I may end up doing... thanks!

#4 whitestingray81

whitestingray81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

Welp, that didn't work either. I changed the settings to delete everything but the newest backup, restarted, and the little disk icon popped back up. Ugh.

Edit: I just "unallocated" 15GB from my C: drive. When I right click on the recovery D: drive, the "extend volume" option is unselectable. Only the "shrink volume" can be selected. Any ideas?

Edited by whitestingray81, 26 October 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

how many partions are on the drive?

#6 whitestingray81

whitestingray81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

There is C:, D:, and one other small partition (with no letter assigned) that is only 39MB. However, I just read this article. Looks like this is a limitation of Windows 7. I'm going to download the suggested software and see if it will let me extend the D: partition.

Edit: I downloaded the linked software, and I STILL cannot extend the D: partition. I guess Windows in no way wants you to do this. I guess my only option would be to reinstall Win 7. Ahh well, I'll just have to live with it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by whitestingray81, 26 October 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#7 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

windows extends end pieces, shrink c delete d format and rename old srunk c->d

extend new d

#8 whitestingray81

whitestingray81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Makes sense. I nearly did that but whimped out on erasing the D: partition. Thanks!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

Well...there is no logical reason for anyone to desire to change the size of the OEM-installed recovery partition, IMO.

I suggest leaving it alone, since it apparently is large enough to serve the purpose as designed by the OEM.

Louis

#10 whitestingray81

whitestingray81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

The OEM partition was erased in the upgrade. I had to create a new one when I installed Windows 7. I guessed wrong at 10GB. But you're right. It's not doing any harm and is good enough for what it is, especially since I rarely use this computer. Thanks for the input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users