Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CryptoLocker Poll: Did you pay the ransom and how did you pay for it?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: CryptoLocker: Did you pay the ransom and using what payment method? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

If you were infected with CryptoLocker did you pay the ransom?

1. Yes. (9 votes [32.14%])

Percentage of vote: 32.14%

2. No. (19 votes [67.86%])

Percentage of vote: 67.86%

If you paid the ransom, what payment method did you use?

1. MoneyPak. (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Bitcoins. (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

3. Not applicable. Did not pay ransom. (20 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

If you paid with Bitcoins, how easy was it to get them?

1. I already had bitcoins. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Easy. (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Difficult, but was able to figure it out. (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

4. We were unable to exchange money for bitcoins. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. I paid using Moneypak (6 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

6. Not applicable. Did not pay ransom. (21 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

BleepingComputer.com is taking an anonymous poll on who has paid the ransom, and if you did, what payment method did you use. Though you need to be a member to vote on this poll, no one will be able to see who voted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kudrow

kudrow

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

It's forcing me to select an option for the 3rd question but it does not apply to me so I picked the last option.

#3 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

I see an addition has been made to the third query per kudrow's input. Won't the second (and, in turn, third) query cause a similar issue for users who did not pay the ransom?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Yup, I fixed it. Added Not applicable. Did not pay ransom. to the second two questions.

#5 broscottcho

broscottcho

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

Maybe add the option of, if you could go back and pay the ransom, would you?  We cannot go back do to cleanup methods and registry keys and the encryption key being lost forever but if we could we would pay it.

#6 Fardooste

Fardooste

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

We had 15 clients get this (some of them twice. In NONE of the instances did we pay the ransom, even when it meant the client losing some data. Not sure if I can vote 15 times. 

#7 Derpapotomus

Derpapotomus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Probly fixed about 30 of these types of infections. I had a few of my clients come in and stated they payed useing a card they bought at Walgreens. I think it even says you can goto several places to pay for it. The funny thing is, and people dont get it. I had to ask each one of them. If the government did this to you, do you think we would be setting here having this conversation? In all my cases no data was lost that could not be recovered or replaced from a backup. It seams the rest of the world knows how scared we are of are own government.

P.S.

I wander how many people got realy scared and went the set computer on fire in the back yard and bury it in the neighbors yard route.

Edited by Derpapotomus, 27 October 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#8 dren028

dren028

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

I paid its been 24 hourd and still my files are decrypted i didnt have a backup so no choicd... Please advise how long it takes if anyone went through this?

#9 CryptoLocker_Refund

CryptoLocker_Refund

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

ill be posting my refund check here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/512282/300-cryptolocker-refund/

I think i might have slipped through the cracks, waiting for an envelope!!!!

#10 Mrbill83

Mrbill83

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Really enjoy seeing all the techies talk about how they fixed the problem.  Yes we have backup of the important stuff. No we do not on alot of stuff.  My questions did their bill exceed the money that was requested and how much data was lost? Being out of business for a period of time just to say I did not pay seems a little "DUH"

#11 CryptoLocker_Refund

CryptoLocker_Refund

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

well some COMPANIES have no other alternative but to pay.

A company that didnt have backups and losing 20+ years worth of data, $300 sounds feasible.

I somehow slipped through the cracks and got a refund from GreenDot.

CryptoLocker uses MoneyPak that has a code to "redeem" whatever money is on the card.

GreenDot  provides a medium to load the MoneyPak code onto a debit card.

I entered the code and once it started to decrypt, i loaded the MoneyPak code on the GreenDot debit and cancelled my account.
I DID get a refund from GreenDot.

*Site admins, if you think this is bogus, im sure you can reverse DNS my IP address and google my company name on that rDNS and give me a call.
*Im an IT consultant and chose to use this SN to stay anonymous from non believers.

*I truly hope someone tries this, because if there is no other alternative, what can this hurt?

#12 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

BleepingComputer.com is taking an anonymous poll on who has paid the ransom, and if you did, what payment method did you use.

We all must remember how serious this is and we must not look down on those who pay the ransom!! (We arent all on the same knowledge level)

The BEST we can do is be here to care and try to help those who have fallen victim..

Edited by 4dude, 13 November 2013 - 04:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users