Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP won't work with donor computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whitestingray81

whitestingray81

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Out of boredem and curiosity, I attempted to install a hardrive from my really really old computer into my not-so-old backup computer. The newer computer, an HP Pavilion Slimline s5414y runs Windows 7. I took out the HD from my old HP Pavilion a1034n , which has Windows XP on it, and popped it into the Slimline. Both have SATA ports (rather than the older IDE), and everything went swimmingly. I changed the boot priority, and whenever I try to boot from the a1034n HD, my monitor turns black and says "out of range." To me, this would be a video settings issues, so I put both HD's back in their respective computers, and turned the resolution way down, then popped the a1034n back into the slimline. Still no dice. I did try other SATA ports on the MOBO, but they all bring up the "out of range" dialog on the montior. Anyone know the reason why this may be? I would guess that the Slimline's MOBO is not compatable with XP. Thanks for any input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

You cannot ,move an OEM system hard drive...with Windows installed for that particular system and hardware, by the OEM...to a different computer system.

This is by design...to make illegal installs from one installation disk or system...more difficult.  The drivers and settings from one set of components...is likely not to work in a different computer system.

Louis

#3 whitestingray81

whitestingray81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

I know that's true for Windows 7 and onward. Or really, after a while Win 7 will say you need to validate the OS, or it will shut down after an hour. But I've moved XP to other computers before, with no problem. I'm not saying that's not the problem, but I thought XP was relatively lenient like that. Perhaps this MOBO sensed it wasn't the stock OS and wouldn't boot it? I've put Win 7 from a laptop in the old XP machine and it worked fine until the "validation" prompt came up.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Well...your experiences with XP have certainly been different from mine.

Prior to XP, it may have been possible (with Win 9x) but PA came in with XP, not later.

Louis

#5 whitestingray81

whitestingray81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

Gotcha. Now that I think about it, all the successful HD swaps with different versions of Windows (and different keys being accepted) all happened on one computer (HP Pavilion a1034n). I wonder if that particular computer has something to do with it? I would think not, as it's just an off-the-shelf HP... hmmmm.

For sure I have installed another HD with XP on it, then there's the original HD with XP, and the Windows 7 HD out of my laptop. I might pull Windows 7 HD from another computer I have and see if that works, too. Anyways, thanks for the input!

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Im with Hamluis  on this one when it comes to putting XP into a newer computer .

But,its possible times they are changing ! I recent put my win8.1 hdd out of my Dell OptiPlex 745 into a HP pavilion tower ,with out any issue ,except for a few drivers missing for the hp's video and such .

did not leave it in ,was just doing it to see if it would work ,

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 whitestingray81

whitestingray81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

That's exactly what I'm finding, too. It must be the  old Pavilion. FWIW, the same XP HD didn't work in my new Win 8.1 machine either. But everything works when you plug it into the old Pavilion.... I think next I'll try to see if Win 7 from my backup computer will work. I'm thinking perhaps the Win 7 from my laptop might have worked as it was an upgrade download from Vista. It still doesn't explain why another HD with XP worked on this computer fine.... how freakin' odd.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

not really odd, if the 2 computers have same or close to the same motherboard ,there is a chance it will boot

Edited by caperjac, 28 October 2013 - 05:09 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users