Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless speed question.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hi all, :hello: 

I have a general question that I hope somebody can answer for me.  I recently upgraded my modem to a Motorola SB-6141.  I constantly download at a full 50-60Mbps+ on my wired connection, but on my D-Link DIR-655, I never reach anything higher than 20Mbps down on any wireless device I try.  I am wondering if that may simply be the best that particular router can deliver?

I purchased a new smart TV which will be delivered next week, and I will hopefully be streaming some HD movies and the like.  So, will my current wireless speed suffice, or should I perhaps purchase a new router?  Is there a way to increase the speed of my current router?

Thanks so much, :thumbup2: 

George

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi, It can be related to the router or the wireless in the computer.

To get full speed in this computer I had to go to dual band and use the 5Ghz band. Using the 2.4Ghz ban give approximately 1/4 of the speed I get with the 5Ghz band. While I was doing that I also went 802.11ac, I'm sure Your TV does not support that or probbly dual band either. To do that I had to add a dual band wireless to the computer too.

I see 10 other wireless besides mine when I look to see what is running here. That does not include the two wireless networks from my router.

I suspect that overcrowding could be part of the problem.

As always if possible run Ethernet rather than going wireless. Wired will give the best results using You current equipment. To answer the other question, Yes 20Mb/s should be more than adequate to stream from places like Netflix or Hulu.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the information you provided.  The television I purchased is Samsungs top-of-the-line flagship model (see link), so hopefully they provided a fast Wi-Fi adapter.  Although they don't seem to provide specifications regarding the Wi-Fi, I have read many reviews where people state it is capable of connecting in both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz band.

http://www.abt.com/product/67902/Samsung-PN51F8500.html

For now I think I will take your suggestion and try streaming on my current system.  If that doesn't work out, I will then consider purchasing a dual band router.

Thanks again for your feedback,

George

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

Good Luck, I would have done exactly what You are planning to do, Test with the current setup. Why waste money if it doesn't need to be spent?

I upgraded to the fastest I could lay my hands on at a reasonable price. I did that since I was having problems with my old D-Link router. It was getting old very quickly having to go into the basement and rest the router and modem every few days.

I figured what the heck, Go Dual band. When I did that My Wireless speed using the same USB adapter and router tested at 30MB/s on the 2.4Ghz band and 117MB/s on the 5Ghz band. You can guess which band I am using.

I suspect that You will be fine with the Wireless setup You have for Your New TV.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users