Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get a Macrium Backup started

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 forcebreach

forcebreach

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'm having trouble making an image backup of my old Dell computer using Macrium Reflect Free.  It's a Dimension 3000 running XP Professional Edition SP3.  My target for the backup is an older Seagate Freeagent 500GB external drive.  Macrium says "image started", but sits there with no progress for an hour with no error messages.  Computer is not frozen, and Process Explorer shows only background activity--almost like Macrium is being ignored.  To stop the backup attempt, (as Macrium's cancel button didn't work), I had to end process in Task Manager to come out of the program.  The external drive shows shows a couple of Macrium file names had been written, but corrupt and with zero bytes.  Both internal and external hard drives are formated as NTFS.

Now here is what's strange:  I have another Dimension 3000 with the same configuration and age-- only running Home Edition XP SP3 instead of the Professional.  The same version of Macrium Free and with the same external drive plugged into it, breezes right through the backup with no problem.

Is this an incompatibility issue with my XP Professional Edition the Home Edition doesn't have?  Please someone help.  All my important work is on the "Pro" computer.  I need the backup to work there.

Edited by hamluis, 26 October 2013 - 10:11 AM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hi

Macrium supports creating either Linux , WinPE 3 or WinPE 4 based rescue disc which can be used to backup and restore Windows.  Please try backing up the system using the rescue media.

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50082.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9O5Rhv42JE

If the Windows version is necessary for you, it is better to post a support request in the official "Macrium" forum.

http://support.macrium.com/

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 26 October 2013 - 08:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users