Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Bar?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:37 PM

My younger brother has been using my computer for school assignments and I just noticed that my google bar has changed and he likely was fiddling with it.
It is back to what I call the typical old default look as the bar I had on it showed items blocked etc and the layout was different.
I don't know if that was a trusted layout however I had it like that for sometime and got used to it and now it is "plain jane".
Or maybe the office techie changed it on me for some reason, is that possible.
I did like to see the items blocked.

I would appreciate comments and also if the layout with items blocked was OK, if a member can advise as to how I get it back to that look.

Thankyou
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

In the google toolbar go to options and find the option for it and change it appropriately.

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:08 AM

Thx for comments, however I am a relative Noob to settings/options and don't know where to look.
Could you please advise, thankyou.
Best regards.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:38 AM

I have been using Internet Explorer 7.0 Beta 2 for a long time and I do not have Google Tool bar installed anymore so it would just about impossible for me to go thru the option settings for this accurately. There are more than one version of the tool bar but they both have Options on them. Here is the link to Google Tool bar for Internet Explorer

http://toolbar.google.com/

Basically all you do is left click on Options and find you object you wish to change and click OK or Apply and see how the change looks. You may have to close and re-open the browser to see the effects.

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:22 PM

Thx for the replies, I have tried the "add" feature however, no major changes.

The existing tool bar that I have looks like the old one that came with the computer It has starting from the left and arrow pointing left and an arrow pointing right , stop icon, Refresh, Home, History, Mail, Print, Edit, M$ Word, Folders, Cut, Copy, Paste, Links with the arrows and then the small Google with the rectangular box.

I would appreciate comments on this very much as the Link you sent me too was the way the Google bar did look and as I said I don't know if my nephew changed it or the office techie.

I know there is a lot of talk in forums about Safe google bars, the one that you posted via the Link is it one of the non controversial ones?

can I D/L overtop of my existing Mundane IE 6???

I don't want to mess up IE 6, trying to get it back to its original look by not following the correct install process.

I appreciate your experienced comments, thankyou.

And I hope that you will get a better idea of the Google Bar that I have via my description above of the Icons that are present in it.

Again, thankyou and I look forward to comments and in layman's language how to go about making the changes.
As I said the D/L Link is exactly what I had before.

Cheers!

#6 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

I could be wrong here but I believe it's the down arrow right after the words Google on the far left of the tool bar. I don't use it anymore, but you used to be able to enable it, disable etc. from there. Worth a shot.

#7 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:03 PM

georgia, it sounds to me like you now have your Google Toolbar up on IE's Standard Buttons Bar and that is not where you want it to be. I don't think this a Google problem, you just have to customize your IE back to what you want.

Right click on an open area of IE's toolbar and remove the check mark for the Lock The Toolbars option. Now move your mouse around by the little line next to where it says Google until you see a two sided arrow appear. Now hold your left mouse button down and drag Google to where you want it to be.

To change the position or to add/remove any of the buttons that are part of IE itself you have to right click an open area like you did above and select the Customize option. This will open a window which allows you to customize what buttons are displayed and their position on the IE toolbar.

When you are done right click the toolbar and put the check mark back next to the Lock The Toolbars option and you will be good to go.

Here is link to a Microsoft tutorial on how to customize your IE web browser layout that explains thing much clearer than I did:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/us...tombrowser.mspx

Edited by Ronbo, 30 April 2006 - 05:13 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#8 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:13 PM

I have gone through all of the replies and yes it is the Google tool bar that is missing. I just have the mundane buttons at the top and don't show as an example what number of "blocks" there has been.
Just to use the example, before that bar was there and as i mentioned a family member has been using my note book and as well the office tech makes adjustments and he is away right now for me to ask.

I would like that tool bar, however is there any reason a tech may have removed it?

Also if it is ok to use it I imagine I will have to go in and get rid of the "check" beside lock tool bar?

And then, can I simply do a D/L from the Link provided in the post without uninstalling anything?

Then I would have to go in again a Lock Tool Bar???

I would appreciate comments, thankyou.
Regards.

#9 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

georgia, right now you have me more confused that I normally am. :thumbsup: I think I am safe in saying that everyone here has been replying to your post thinking that someone had just moved your Google toolbar and changed your IE layout, now you are saying that it is missing and implying that this may not be your personal computer.

Is this your personal computer or is it supplied by your place of employment? If it is supplied by your company, it may well be that the tech did remove it. You would have to ask him/her if and why they did, it may be that your company does not allow other software to be installed on their computers.

If it is your own computer and you want it back, that is no big deal, just click this link and it will take you to the Google download page:
http://toolbar.google.com/

This is the plain old normal Google toolbar, click the Download Google Toolbar button to reinstall it. Do not click on the Download Now link in the blue box below the Download Google Toolbar button, that link is for a Beta version of the toolbar which means it is a new version which has not been fully tested and may cause problems with your computer.

I think that what you mean by the "controversial" toolbar is that when you install the toolbar you will be given an option to enable some "advanced" options, these advanced options will send information back to Google about the sites you have visited. Some people do not like this hence the "controversy." Do not select the advanced option when you reinstall and you will have the "safe" version.

The Lock The Toolbars thing is just so that once you set up your toolbars how you like them, it prevents you from accidentally moving anything from where you like it. You "unlock" (remove the check mark) them to move things around and you "lock" (replace the check mark) to lock them back in place.

If you want the Google toolbar back then by all means just reinstall it. :flowers:
There is no justice, there is just us.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:30 PM

I would like that tool bar, however is there any reason a tech may have removed it?

Absolutely. When I'm working on a computer, I often turn off extra bars to get more space in the actual window. Just go to View and hover your mouse over "toolbars" and then see which ones have a checkmark by them. If you see the Google Toolbar unchecked, click on it and it will restore it.

#11 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:13 AM

Thx for all of the replies, Ron Bo hit the nail on the head. No this is actually my own personal computer, however our tech does fiddle around with our home ones as well and so that is why I was talking about the controversial tool bar, which as you mentioned likely is the one that can send out info on the user and of course regardless if it is work or at home i would not want that.

The look that I had before was the Link:
My Webpage

Is there anything controversial about this tool bar? What I mean is that I liked the view that showed the number of items blocked etc.

As I mentioned my relative has been doing his homework on my home notebook and don't know if he touched anything, I asked him and he said he didn't remember. The office Tech is off on one of his famous Hiatus that we all drool over at we are all in the after Income Tax Season Mode!!!
He always gets the "runaway bay" first!!!

If I can D/L the above link and it is not the controversial one can it be D/L over top? And are there any known problems with this Google Bar?

I tremendously thank all members for their responses and look forward to this next one.

Respectful regards,

Georgia.

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:34 AM

I think I'd trust a toolbar from Google. So far, anyway. So many companies are going the adware-supported route. But my own preference is to be able to see as much of the content of the page as possible with the least amount of scrolling. I mean, there's already a google search bar in Firefox. And you can have too much information. (Especially if you're working with a small monitor.) Plus, in the many years I've been using computers, I've learned that the fewer things you have running, the more you can do and the more stable your system is. I got burned with both McAfee Nuts & Bolts and Norton Systemworks, both of which used to put tons of applets on your desktop - they'd use up the available memory and the computer would crash. These days, with XP, the system is much more stable, though problems can still arise.

#13 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:25 PM

Thx everyone, my Google tool bar looks normal again, after doing the D/L that was posted.
I appreciated the discussion and thank members for their input.
Cheers! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users