Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i got System.IO File Not Found Exception when i try to run a program

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Edward Elric

Edward Elric

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:12 AM

Hi, i got a problem recently, i have been updating my windows XP these days trying the optional software updates cuz i already got all the critical windows XP updates.

So i installed .NET Framework 3.5 and .Net Framework 4.0 yesterday and after that i got the warning that i needed to install some critical updates for .Net Framework 4.0 and i did it.

I tested it and everything was working better than ever, pretty smooth. So today i checked that there was still 5 updates left releated with .Net Framework, these are the ones :

- Microsoft .NET Framework versión 1.1 (español)

- Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2836941)

- Microsoft Update for the .NET Framework 4 (KB2533523)

- Microsoft Update for the .NET Framework 4 (KB2468871)

- Microsoft Update for the .NET Framework 4 (KB2600217)

Then i installed these updates but testing my PC i found that everything was working pretty slow and choppy. Later, I decided to undo the last Windows Update, i used the restoration point created before installing these updates.

I got my PC running smooth and fast again, everthing is working fine except that when i try to run an internet tv program i got an error message related with System.IO file not found exception.

The complete message is pretty long, but it starts link this :

EventType : clr20r3     P1 : internettv.exe     P2 : 7.6.0.0     P3 : 4fc62f20
P4 : internettv     P5 : 7.6.0.0     P6 : 4fc62f20     P7 : 168     P8 : 36f
P9 : system.io.filenotfoundexception

I didn t try anything to fix this, yet. I still can undo the restotion process if it s nessesary and i have some older restoration points as well.

Please, i just want to fix this issue and get my PC running like yesterday.

Hope someone can help me with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

System Restore seems to be an obvious answer.

FWIW:  If a program needs a specific version of NET Framework, it will normally indicate such via onscreen message.  It is not necessary to install any version of NET in order to run Windows...it's installed programs and drivers which may require a particular version.

My advice would be to stay away from optional updates (including drivers available at Windows/Microsoft Update)...the chance for unwanted, unnecessary problems does not have to be created.  Critical updates are a different animal.

Louis

#3 Edward Elric

Edward Elric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thx for your advice, Hamluis.

Install .NET framework 3.5 and 4.0 was a good move (both were optional as well), i got my PC working better. But the other ones were the problem.

Now i remember that for that internet TV program, the first time i installed it, it asked me to install first .Net Framework 1.0 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable.

I still have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable installed, but i read somewhere that installing this package can fix my problem.

I didn t do it yet, cuz if im wrong,  i don t want to add more issues to my PC.

Hope someone knows how to fix this.

Edited by Edward Elric, 26 October 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

OK...this is what I think I know :)...

You can have mulltiple versions of Visual C (year) installed, generally with no problem.  If there is a problem, it's probably with the application using Visual C (example, Visual Studio).  If the problem does not related to the application...simply uninstall/reinstall the apparent offending version of Visual C.

Most TV capture/record apps that I've seen...require Version 2.0 of MS.NET.  AMD/ATI drivers require that version, generally, with every driver package install.

Any version that is older than 2.0 can be safely ignored in most instances.  Of course, if an older system came with 1.0 or 1.1 installed...that would be an exception to my statement.

Generally, if the purchased system/installed version of Windows...came with a version of NET Framework installed...leave it alone, do not try to uninstall it because you consider it "not necessary".

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 October 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#5 Edward Elric

Edward Elric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

Well, i uninstalled/ reinstalled Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable package (the only program that i have with C++ in the name) and no luck, still got the same error appering.

Another idea about how to fix this ??

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Take A Look At First Three Listed Results

Louis

#7 Edward Elric

Edward Elric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

Ok, i got the program running again. I found some good tips to fix it here :

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/03/07/8108332.aspx

The first step where i have to go to the add/remove programs and choose the repair option for the .Net Framework programs fixed my problem.

I tried reparing .Net Framework 4.0 first but i didn t get any change. So i tried again with the version 2.0 and 3.0 but still nothing.

So my last hope was reparing .Net Framework 3.5 and that fixed my issue, no more error message and the program run like before.

But i got choppy youtube videos again after the fix. When i installed .Net Framework 4.0 the first time, it made my youtube videos work better.

I tried to repair the .Net Framework 4.0 again to see if it helps with my videos but no luck.

You think i should reinstall .Net Framework 4.0 to get my videos smooth again ??

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

Well...I can't tell you any more about Net versions than I have.

As for Youtube videos...I know of no correlation between videos and any version of NET.  I run a system with nothing later than 3.5, SP1...and I've never had any problem with videos on that system.

The only correlations that I draw between NET versions and anything else...is the fact that some programs/drivers need a given version to function appropriately.  That need is spelled out by the app requiring said version.

Aside from that...I've never found any version of NET to be necessary.

Louis

#9 Edward Elric

Edward Elric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

All works fine now.

I decided to uninstall/reinstall .Net Framework 4.0 today and i got my youtube videos running smooth again.

I don t get why .Net Framework 4.0 affect youtube videos but im happy for that, i thought there wasn't any  way to fix that issue.

My internet tv program is running fine as well, so problem FIXED.

Thx for your help Hamluis.

P.D : I ll keep my distance from any optinal software update for Windows XP.

Edited by Edward Elric, 28 October 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

:thumbup2: , nice work :).

I look at "optional" in the same way that I interpret "unnecessary" when I go to MS/Windows Update :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users