Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows wont start - file missing/corrupt

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 systemblu

systemblu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

I'm getting the:
windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

...message

came out of nowhere, actually throughout the day i kept getting various messages for multiple programs saying they had to close for one reason or another as well as various messages from programs saying(out of the blue) they were all of a sudden missing files, making a couple of the programs inoperable.

i restarted the computer after getting all these messages and thats when the problem started. bad part is im still getting the message after 2 os reinstalls.

what do you think the problem is?

background on the machine:
its a 9-10 y/o compaq presario s3000nx. all parts swapped out over time except the hard drive & the power supply.

any help is much appreciated. thanks

ps. i tried windows soulution for this problem, if you're familiar, the first couple things they say to copy wont copy for me with the recovery console. and the option to repair the other way isn't there. i coulda sworn it was before though *shrugs*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,806 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 systemblu

systemblu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

i cant get into the computer. i thought that part was obvious i apologize. i'm posting from my phone.

but i'm curious - what were you hoping to troubleshoot with my machine specs? i know most off the top of my head but before i break the machine down for further clarification so i can post...

i cant install an operating system(at least xp) on a seemingly perfectly fine setup disc(i've used it numerous times), that's the problem. im not super knowledgeable but i thought that would register as an obvious problem for some of you, i dont know; i'm thinking bad hard drive, which as i stated in my op is one of two original(10 year old) components. what i didnt mention is lately(past few months) the computer freezes a lot, sometimes, by sound, i can tell the hard drive just cuts off.

anywho, because of that^ i'm thinking bad hard drive, possibly bad psu(also original as stated in my op)

i'll troubleshoot any way i can with your assistance, just answer me that question/give me your opinion first please.

thanks

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,806 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

You made it clear that you couldn't boot into Windows normally.  There are situations where you won't be able boot into Windows normally, but will be able to boot into Safe Mode.

Just so I'm clear on this, have you tried booting into Safe Mode.  

If you aren't familiar with accessing Safe Mode, start tapping the F8 key immediately after pressing the power button.  The Advanced Boot Options will open, use the up or down arrow to navigate to Safe Mode, then press Enter.

Do you have the installation disk for XP?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 systemblu

systemblu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

cant do safe mode.
yes i have the installation disc.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,806 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

The best option at this point is to perform a repair installation.  This will not effect your data.

I no longer have a tutorial for this, so I will suggest using the one here.

Let us know how this works out.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

#7 systemblu

systemblu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

effect my data? dude the data's gone. did you even read my op? i've deleted, reformatted, & reinstalled xp 3 times now. still getting the same message.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,806 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Dude, I've been rather busy this morning.  Things tend to get confused when this happens.

It looks like you have a hardware problem.

To check the hdd download SeaTool for DOS.  Click on the Accept button, follow the instructions for the download.

This is a ISO file which you will need to burn to a disc.  I prefer using ImgBurn, a download link and instructions are below.

Burning a ISO file to a CD or DVD with ImgBurn

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second.

If you have a multimeter with a DC scale you can test the rail voltages of the PSU.

The purpose of this procedure is to bypass the motherboard to test the PSU.

When a computer begins the boot process the motherboard initiates the start up of the PSU. Because of this it is difficult to determine whether the problem is with the motherboard or the PSU when a computer shows no signs of starting up. The purpose of the procedure is to determine if the problem is with the motherboard or the PSU.  For safety purposes please follow the instructions step by step.

This test is for ATX PSUs. Some manufacturers use non-ATX PSUs with 20/24 pin connectors that do not have the same pinout as a ATX PSU.

First, shutdown your computer. Then unplug the power cable going into your computer.

Once you have opened the case, touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.  

The connector of the PSU which connects to the motherboard is readily recognizable by the number of wires in the bundle.  To disconnect it you will need to press on the plastic clip to disengage it and then pull the connector up and away from the motherboard.  Please take notice of the location of the locking tab and the notch on the socket of the motherboard, this will only connect one way as it is keyed.  This wire bundle will have a memory of the way it has been installed and will want to bend back that direction, you may have to play around with it to find a position that the connector will stay in the same position while you run the test.

th_main24index.jpg

From the top left to right the pins are 13-24, the bottom from left to right are 1-12.

Please notice that there are PSUs with 24 pin and 20 pin connectors, the location of the green wire in the 24 pin connector is #16, and the green wire in the 20 pin connector is #14.  If you look at the connector with socket side facing you and the clip on the top the number one pin will be on the bottom left corner.  This makes the pin out for the 24 pin connector from left to right 13-24 on top, and 1-12 on the bottom.  The pin out for the 20 pin connector from left to right is 11-20 on top , and 1-10 on the bottom. If you look at the connectors you notice that these are sockets that fit over the pins on the motherboard where the PSU cable attaches, this is where you will place the jumper.  For a jumper you will need a piece of solid wire about the size of a paper clip (20-22 awg), preferably a wire with insulation.  It will need to be large enough to fit firmly into the socket so that it will not need to be held in place while testing.  You are at risk of electrical shock if you are holding the jumper when you power up the PSU.  Insert one end of the jumper into the socket of the Green wire, and insert the other end into the socket of any Black wire.

Once the jumper is in place plug the cord back in. If the PSU is working properly the case fans, optical drives, hdds, and LEDs should power up and remain on.  I would suggest that you not  leave this connected any longer than is necessary for safety purposes.

At this point you can use a DC Voltage meter to read the different rail Voltages. You will want to insert the black probe into any of the Black (-) sockets, and insert the Red (+) probe in the five different colored sockets, one at a time. Below are the five different colors and their corresponding rail voltages. The Voltages should be within about ten percent  plus or minus of the given values.

Yellow    +12VDC

Blue         -12VDC

Red           +5VDC

White       -5VDC

Orange   +3.3VDC

To reconnect the 20/4 pin connector unplug the power cord, remove the jumper, and reconnect the connector. Take a moment at this time to make sure that nothing has been dislodged inside the case.

Edited by dc3, 26 October 2013 - 11:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users