Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Strange Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

My pc has been working fine this morning and I shut it off at noon to take a nap and now Windows 7 hangs on starting windows so I tried doing a clean install and then it hanged midway. I tried reinstalling again and now the setup hangs on "Setup is starting". 
System Specs:
1GB DDR2 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 5450

Seagate Barracuda ST3500620AS HP24 500GB SATA

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @ 2.6GHz

Help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

Looking at your specs I suspect your Windows 7 OS is a 32-bit system. Please let us know if this is true. There's nothing wrong about that but it will be helpful to know. Why? Because I have read more than once that Windows 7 32-bit should have a minimum of 2 GB, preferably 4 GB. If you have a 64-bit system, 1 GB really isn't enough and the computer has been running on "fumes" after the usage it has had to go through. Are you able to get out of the install and start back up in Safe Mode?

Right now I'd say the reason the hourglass & cursor are hanging is because there might be too many items in your startup and/or you should run your internet security programs to make sure the computer is clean followed by normal maintenance a computer needs - but let's get started by finding out whether or not you can get out of install mode and into Safe Mode

#3 Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

Looking at your specs I suspect your Windows 7 OS is a 32-bit system. Please let us know if this is true. There's nothing wrong about that but it will be helpful to know. Why? Because I have read more than once that Windows 7 32-bit should have a minimum of 2 GB, preferably 4 GB. If you have a 64-bit system, 1 GB really isn't enough and the computer has been running on "fumes" after the usage it has had to go through. Are you able to get out of the install and start back up in Safe Mode?

Right now I'd say the reason the hourglass & cursor are hanging is because there might be too many items in your startup and/or you should run your internet security programs to make sure the computer is clean followed by normal maintenance a computer needs - but let's get started by finding out whether or not you can get out of install mode and into Safe Mode

Yes its 32bit and I've been running it fluently the thing is I have no bootable copy of windows anymore so safe mode isnt an option

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

You can get into Safe Mode by running msconfig, select the Boot tab and then check the Safe Boot box

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

You can get into Safe Mode by running msconfig, select the Boot tab and then check the Safe Boot box

If the system doesn't load Windows, running msconfig to enter Safe Mode is going to be difficult. Using the F8 key before the splash screen is probably a better option, but with the system hanging from the failed re-installation, I doubt that would work either.

However, JesusR, trying to troubleshoot software issues without having some assurance that your hardware works correctly is approaching the problem the wrong way. I would use another computer to make bootable CDs of SeaTools for DOS and Memtest 86+. Both sites include instructions for making a disk and tutorials on using the software.

I would run SeaTools for Dos first and use the full test. It can take an hour or more to run, and that's normal. If the drive passes, run Memtest 86+, and let it run for several hours. My expectation, based on the fact that your Windows re-installation failed, is that your hard drive is defective. Bad memory is a possiblility, but since the system failed abruptly, I'd look at the hard drive as the most likely source of failure.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Right now I'd say the reason the hourglass & cursor are hanging is because there might be too many items in your start up and/or you should run your internet security programs to make sure the computer is clean followed by normal maintenance a computer needs - but let's get started by finding out whether or not you can get out of install mode and into Safe Mode

One thing like he said, you need more RAM. 4 GB should cover anything and everything you need for a clean and speedy boot up (assuming you don't do any hard core gaming). Any more RAM you could have in there will help you run windows faster

Part Requirement

(CPU) 1 GHz or faster

(RAM) 1 GB

(Hard drive free space) 16 GB

(Disc drive) DVD drive 

(Graphics memory) 128 MB or more

Now yes these are the specs on the requirements for windows 7, but this is assuming you are running your operating system and NOTHING else. Running your computer on bare minimum like that will eventually cause it to fail. 

Moderator Edit: Removed Link

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 October 2013 - 11:57 AM.

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Right now I'd say the reason the hourglass & cursor are hanging is because there might be too many items in your start up and/or you should run your internet security programs to make sure the computer is clean followed by normal maintenance a computer needs - but let's get started by finding out whether or not you can get out of install mode and into Safe Mode

One thing like he said, you need more RAM. 4 GB should cover anything and everything you need for a clean and speedy boot up (assuming you don't do any hard core gaming). Any more RAM you could have in there will help you run windows faster

Part Requirement

(CPU) 1 GHz or faster

(RAM) 1 GB

(Hard drive free space) 16 GB

(Disc drive) DVD drive 

(Graphics memory) 128 MB or more

Now yes these are the specs on the requirements for windows 7, but this is assuming you are running your operating system and NOTHING else. Running your computer on bare minimum like that will eventually cause it to fail. 

Moderator Edit: Removed Link

Roger

Just like cmptrgy, you miss the point of the OP's remarks. Whether or not the hardware configuration is optimal is beside the point. Before the system failure, the computer performed at an acceptable level for JesusR. Any discussion about hardware requirements, etc. isn't really germane to the issue of why the computer failed. Since the system was able to install Win7, but cant re-install the OS, that would indicate a recent hardware failure.

Edited by rotor123, 27 October 2013 - 12:02 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Well let me try one more time

There are some very good ideas already posted but I'd like to find out whether or not Safe Mode is possible without downgrading someone else

I did state let's get started by finding out whether or not you can get out of install mode and into Safe Mode
--- I agree that F8 is the better attempt than msconfig 

--- If it works, then you can take the next step forward, if it doesn't - then you'll know and take the next step forward

What if you found out you could do a system restore back to yesterday when the computer ran flawlessly, run some maitenence & security programs but right now we don't know whether or not it's possible

--- I know, how are you going to be able to do that; however that possibility shouldn't be discounted yet

Moving on to SeaTools etc is certainly good

--- I still believe increasing your RAM makes sense

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users