Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Crashing Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Racoonslayer

Racoonslayer

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

I have been having problems with this computer for about 6 months now. The thing that started it all was when I started getting .cab errors, and read errors when I tried to install things from cds. I bought a new dvd drive thinking that was the problem, then came on here, learned about bad ram, then tested my ram and bought a 100$ corsair memory module. I reformatted my computer so that I wouldnt have any "holes" in the operating system, And here i am. everything installs fine, but when I try to run, battle for middle earth, unreal tournament 04, GTA vice city or any other resource needy application, my computer will just freeze, and it does it mostly during the load process. What is wrong here? I am an experienced computer user, and will supply you with any information that you need, just ask. Thank you so much!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

I had the same issue some 6 months ago.
My kids where complaining that they could not play any "heavy" game (like the ones mentioned above).
This issue appeared also when I was performing a manual scan (Ewido or NOD32..)
concurently with working on the PC. The PC freezed after 10 minutes.
I downloaded the program SpeedFan (a freeware that monitors temperatures of the CPU and HD) from: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
and remarked that this issue occured generally when the CPU temperature reached >63 - 66 oC (for 3-4 minutes).
I opened the case, removed the heatsink (it was full of dust), cleaned the CPU and apply a uniform thin film
of Thermal Compound (see: http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/cpu/socka/4.html ).
I added two external fans (120mm and 80mm) to the case (see: http://gruntville.com/articles/mod_tools/ ). I connected them using a 4-pin Y Cable Splitter (http://www.frozencpu.com/cab-03.html?id=jFRN8kJs).
The issue was solved.
I use (from now) to open the case and clean the dust every three months.

Hope this will help.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:37 AM

Check your Event Viewer for STOP messages ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ )

Do you have all Windows Updates?
Have you loaded the motherboard/chipset drivers?
Have you updated your video drivers to the latest version?
Have you updated other drivers?
Have you checked the SMART status of your hard drive? (available in SpeedFan which was mentioned in the previous post)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Racoonslayer

Racoonslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

Hey, Thank you for all the replies. I am running the temp program as i type and like all other temp apps they dont work on my computer. It says temp 1 is 3C the 78C..ect. I have 2 hard ware thermometers in my case and the one attached to the bottom of the heatsink says 38C and the one taped to my hdd says 35C. The air being pushed out of the case is also not over 80-90F. as for the updates. I am an update maniac. I am always trying to make sure everything on my computer is up-to-date, and even update the firmware on my cd drives. all my drivers are uptodate except for my video card drivers. Last time I tried to update those, I lost the ability to control resolution and my color depth was all messed up. The SMART status on my hdd is perfect even though I dont know what that means. I am starting to think it is my video card though I am not sure, it is a Radeon 9800 XT 256mb, and has served my well since I built this computer. Thank you again!!

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

What kind of drivers did you try to install? Because ATi now has drivers for both AGP and PCI-e cards. You'd probably need the AGP drivers, seeing that you have the 9800. It is most likely the drivers. If not, then your computer is running too hot. Is there a way to monitor temps from outside of the case? I.E.: LCD temperature display?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

You need to get a program to read the on-chip temperatures such as Everest Home. It does real-time measurement. The CPU temp should never go above 60C. Generally, the case temp should never go above 35C.

If the case temp is too high then see about getting (a) case fan(s). Almost all desktop cases, even OEM (Dell, etc.) have a place on the back of the case for adding a case fan. Many cases also have a space on the front sheetmetal behind the 3.5 inch drive cage for another fan or two. The plastic front of the case must be taken off to attach a fan to the front.

A good thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5 can bring the CPU temp down several degrees all by itself.

Edited by pascor22234, 03 May 2006 - 02:43 PM.

#7 Racoonslayer

Racoonslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

Hey, I tried to install the AGP drivers when I still had the bad ram so I am trying again right now. The only way that I can tell temperatures are using my external LCD screen, and right now, cpu is 34C and hdd is 31C, its so low because I just rebooted. I have everest home and use it for other things, but no program can accurately tell the temperatures on my computer. My processor has never seen 54<, and 50< in the past 3 months, so thats not a problem. the case temp, im guessing the actual case your talking about is very cold to the touch. I am using one of those small microATX cube cases, but it has 2 cd drives and only 1 spot for a fan. I bolted 2 VERY high 120mm fans together and stuck them there. they are both sucking in air, and pushing it out the front 2 vents. I am now using an arctic silver product, so I can good there also. I am downloading the ATI drivers off the windows upgrade page as i type. alright, when this finishes I will post back. Thank you all!!

#8 Racoonslayer

Racoonslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:25 PM

I tried to install the video drivers, and it didn't fix anything. Is there any software that can do a full pc diagnostics? I am starting to think it is my motherboard. when I installed the heatsink, the motherboard dipped a tiny bit, and is bent around the processor. Any thoughts?

#9 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

Does it turn off completely or just hang? Change your error settings so you get an error message when it cuts out. Right-click My computer > Properties > Advanced tab. Under Startup and recovery, click the Settings button, and remove the check from Automatically restart, uner system failure.

If that doesn't help, have you tried another PSU?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users