Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Windows Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hi.

I'm using Windows Movie Maker and it was all working fine, but suddenly it has decided that instead of splitting the video when I click split it is just going to delete it all. What has gone wrong and how do I solve it???

Don't want to have to be downloading some other software and starting again. I tried closing it and reopening it but that didn't work. I have not saved it since it started doing this.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Can you tell us what operating system you are using?

That may help in finding a solution to your problem.

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:06 AM

I'm using Windows 7.

I totally forgot about this topic...haven't received any emails telling me I've had replies for any of my threads :( I haven't used movie maker so much lately but last I used it it was still happening.

#4 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

snOzbOz

Windows Movie Maker is not native to Windows 7, only Windows "Live" Movie Maker comes with Windows7.

If you are trying to run Windows Movie Maker in Windows7, that may be causing your problem.

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

snOzbOz

Windows Movie Maker is not native to Windows 7, only Windows "Live" Movie Maker comes with Windows7.

If you are trying to run Windows Movie Maker in Windows7, that may be causing your problem.

It's still the same programme though, just a newer version. I have two versions on my PC. I downloaded an earlier version although it was the Windows 7 I was using that has the problem. The other is alright as far as I know.

#6 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

The Movie Maker that comes installed on Windows 7 and Windows 8 is not the same program as Windows Movie Maker 6.0 that came with Windows Vista, and was a very user friendly program.

The Movie Maker that comes installed on Windows 7 and Windows 8 is a part of a suite called Windows Essentials, and is nothing like Movie Maker 6.0, it is not very user friendly.

Read more here. http://movies.blainesville.com/2010/05/installing-windows-movie-maker-60-on.html

At that link they claim that you can install Movie maker 6.0 on Win 7 and Win 8 machines, but I have never tried it, and can not say if it would work.

But, as I said, Movie Maker 6.0 is much more user friendly than the Windows Essentials version, it has a timeline very similar to that in Corel Video studio Pro X4, the program that I use.

#7 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

The Movie Maker that comes installed on Windows 7 and Windows 8 is not the same program as Windows Movie Maker 6.0 that came with Windows Vista, and was a very user friendly program.

The Movie Maker that comes installed on Windows 7 and Windows 8 is a part of a suite called Windows Essentials, and is nothing like Movie Maker 6.0, it is not very user friendly.

Read more here. http://movies.blainesville.com/2010/05/installing-windows-movie-maker-60-on.html

At that link they claim that you can install Movie maker 6.0 on Win 7 and Win 8 machines, but I have never tried it, and can not say if it would work.

But, as I said, Movie Maker 6.0 is much more user friendly than the Windows Essentials version, it has a timeline very similar to that in Corel Video studio Pro X4, the program that I use.

All have movie maker in the name even if some have live in it too or are part of windows essentials. All edit videos. Therefore they are all basically the same programme just different versions. The design or how user friendly they are is not the point.

I have movie maker 6.0 on windows 7. It's fine except it doesn't play AVCHD file types. I have the windows live movie maker, that's the one that's not working. That does play AVCHD which is the file type I am trying to edit.

#8 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

I have never used Windows Live Movie Maker because of it's lack of a traditional "time line", so I really can not give you any more advice.

#9 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:56 AM

Fair enough. I prefer the original timeline movie maker had but it doesn't bother me to use the newer version. I'm not bothered about other versions, I just want the version I have to work properly.

I mean, I could save the files I have as a differnt file type and use them in another version. However, I still know the Windows live movie maker isn't working properly so I'd still want to know why lol.

#10 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Hi sn0zb0z, I wonder if your problems are related to working with AVCHD files. I am still on a big learning curve as far as video files go. I am also Win 7 and at first had difficulty with Windows Live Movie Maker. After searching the net for information I found that I needed to recode AVCHD files to MP2 if I want to play the videos on another computer or DVD player. (AVCHD files are intended for Blu-ray players) I discovered that there are several conversion programs available; ended up getting Nero video editing software which includes Nero Recode. From there I have experimented and if the AVCHD file has been recoded to MP2 or MP4 then they can be edited using Windows Live Movie Maker and become .wmv files. You need a lot of time to work with video files and be prepared for many headaches! :(

#11 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hi sn0zb0z, I wonder if your problems are related to working with AVCHD files. I am still on a big learning curve as far as video files go. I am also Win 7 and at first had difficulty with Windows Live Movie Maker. After searching the net for information I found that I needed to recode AVCHD files to MP2 if I want to play the videos on another computer or DVD player. (AVCHD files are intended for Blu-ray players) I discovered that there are several conversion programs available; ended up getting Nero video editing software which includes Nero Recode. From there I have experimented and if the AVCHD file has been recoded to MP2 or MP4 then they can be edited using Windows Live Movie Maker and become .wmv files. You need a lot of time to work with video files and be prepared for many headaches! :(

Indeed you do.

I think the problem is when I save the video as a project and come back to it. It's fine if I edit it in one go but if I leave off it often just decides it wants to delete it instead of split it.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

I would like to run 6 what steps are needed?  Please keep it simple I am getting slower!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#13 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

I would like to run 6 what steps are needed?  Please keep it simple I am getting slower!!!!

Without looking I can't be exact, it was months ago when I downloaded it. Basically, I googled to find the download. I imagine it was through the Microsoft site although for older versions of programmes sometimes you have to go through other software sites (many redirect or take the files from the original source anyway). I clicked install/download, clicked to run it and then opened it. Can't think that there were any other steps but either way it's really simple and quick to download.

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Thanks!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#15 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

OldPhil

Here is a link where you can get Windows Movie Maker 6.

http://movies.blainesville.com/2010/05/installing-windows-movie-maker-60-on.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users