Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow windows startup after computer froze during DDS program scan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lanaStarr

lanaStarr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hello there :hello: - I'm new, and I'm currently trying to fix my mother's computer.

Ok, here we go.....

My mother ended up having DNSbasic and other crud on her computer (she likes games).  I managed to clear that out using Norton, SAS, and Malwarebytes.  I also deleted some program folders and registry entries manually in safe mode (I know - Big NO-NO :))

Anyway, I ended up with clean scans of health, and the computer and its browsers (at least firefox) was working great - fast connections, no pop-ups, no nothing :dance: .  I then decided to be more thorough and try to do a "hijack this!' kind of post on another tech site just to make sure I need nothing further (like a recovery console repair).

I downloaded the DDS.scr and gmer files (following another forum's instructions).  Disabled my norton 360 per instructions and my wifi.  Ran the scan and it seemed to work, but then it froze.  No action whatsoever from the computer.  I waited 5 min. or so and then decided to just cut the computer off - no proper shutdown.  I had no other choice.  Ctr+Alt+Del nor anything else was working.

When I restarted the computer, the startup was a little slower - like there were more processes going on.  But it started well enough, and I tried running it again.  Same problem, same solution.  I cut it back on (start up was slow again, but not any slower than before), logged back on, and moved on to the gmer file.  That went just fine. 

Once done, I then decided to download the DDS.com DOS program from this site.  Same problem occured, and once again I just shut off the computer.

This time when I cut it back on, It was VEEEERY slow to start-up (5 min. or so), and I was concerned that I screwed up the OS since it seemed to continue to process, but didn't start up.  So I cutoff while still "loading", and cut it back on again.  It then prompted me that Windows didn't shut down properly........safe mode option.  I clicked the safe mode option, and it was still slow to load, but at least it loaded.  Deleted the dds program downloaded from here, and restarted the computer - properly.  Slow to start again in regular mode, but it did finally start up.  Everything was VEEERY slow to load upon start-up.  Downloaded the OTC program found here, and didn't do much good.  I'm now here asking for help.

I'm very sorry for this long post, but I'm hoping that a more thorough post would return an even quicker response. :thumbsup:

My response to any inquiries might come later because I now have somewhere to go.

Thank you all for your time. :)

Oh, quick edit - I've had System Restore turned off since dealing with the malware removal.  So that's not an option.

Edited by lanaStarr, 25 October 2013 - 11:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

IMO...whichever forum/website started you running malware scans...is the forum/website that you should be posting in.

Assuming that there was some reason that they started you on that partcular path...the trail should be followed until resolution of issues resulting from following that path.  My perspective is that we don't know what they saw...why a given course was suggested...and the possibility of suggestions/advice from another site...is fraught with the possibility of unintended error.

Your issues don't sound like O/S issues to me, based on what you've stated.

Louis

#3 lanaStarr

lanaStarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for replying.

I went through the malware removal steps myself - I had no help whatsoever from a site.  As I said, everything was fine, but I wanted to be extra sure there weren't registry or other issues that I missed.  Before posting on the site, the prerequisite was to download and run those programs that i mentioned in my post.  This site's dds was suggested, but they put a screen saver extention on it.  That didn't seem to work, so I downloaded the DOS application.  It was the same program - the one here that's a DOS application. That's when this had happened.   My 'clean scans of health' came from the products I mentioned.

I thought my post was pretty clear.

Edited by lanaStarr, 25 October 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

You may have thought that it was clear...but why even mention another website?

In any case...post your DDS log at BC Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html .

Such logs are not permitted in this forum, which deals only with O/S issues...and the folks familiar with DDS logs and other anti-malware tools can be found in the linked forum above.

Louis

#5 lanaStarr

lanaStarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

Thank You!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users