Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic problem after installing SSD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Odovakar

Odovakar

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Dear fellow computer victims or masters,

I recently installed a Samsung EVO SSD harddisk into my ASUS K73SV computer, together with an extra 4 gig of internal memory. I then did a clean install of Windows 7, updated drivers etc. Since this laptop has two HHD slots I left my old drive in it but changed the slots for them. However I didn't reformat the old drive or anything; I just left it the way it was. Now my boot drive is the SSD (of course), set to C:

The problem is that my computer now hangs in a completely random way. No matter whether I surf the web, work in MS Office, play, or don't do anything with the computer at all, suddenly the whole screen starts to blink very rapidly, showing white vertical stripes (i.e. the typical sign that your motherboard/graphic board would have melted/overheated, or something like that). This all started when I installed the SSD and extra 4 gig memory. 

Furthermore, every 5th time or so that I turn the computer on, it seems to do everything in slow motion/ultra rapide. The green HDD lamp is "flickering", sound is playing 10 times slower than normal, and ordinary webpages are following me very badly when I scroll down.  

What could be the problem? I have heard a lot about people having problems with blue screens after installing an SSD drive, but this is clearly not the case here. Could it be the extra 4 gigs of memory? I did buy a different brand of memory (i.e. had Kingston but bought something else) but the clock frequency was the same and the salesman in the store assured me that there would be no problems. I even showed him the old memory module so that he could pick the correct (closest) one from the inventory list in his computer.

Diagnosis and treatment, please!   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

​I'm sure someone with more experience will be able help you, but..

In the bios ... did you switch the storage configuration for the SSD from IDE to AHIC?

A fella by the name of Rotor told me once, that you needed to do this when installing an SSD.

If you didn't you might want to search for tutorials on this.

I was going to try and switch mine to IDE just to see if it had the same results as you, but I'm afraid it might mess things up. 

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hi, Enriqe

Only switching to IDE mode would lead to a BSOD.

From Microsoft

After you use the BIOS setup of a Windows 7-based computer or a Windows Vista-based computer to change the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) mode of the boot drive to use either the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification or redundant array of independent disks (RAID) features, you receive the following error message when the computer is restarted:

This issue occurs if the disk driver in Windows 7 or Windows Vista is disabled. This driver must be enabled before you change the SATA/RAID mode of the boot drive.

This will happen if You change from IDE to AHCI or from AHCI to IDE without doing the fix.

Microsoft offers a fixit.

or from here too.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Odovakar

Odovakar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

In the bios ... did you switch the storage configuration for the SSD from IDE to AHIC?

A fella by the name of Rotor told me once, that you needed to do this when installing an SSD.

I was going to try and switch mine to IDE just to see if it had the same results as you, but I'm afraid it might mess things up. 

Yes, that's the first thing I did...or actually, it was set on AHIC in BIOS from the very beginning, Two days ago, however, I removed the old HDD so that now I only have the SSD installed. So far nothing has happened. I will try this configuration for a few more days. If nothing has happened by then, we can possibly conclude that the error was due to a conflict between the two drives having the same operating system. If so, I will simply put the old HDD back and immediately reformat it. Reformatting and simply use the old SSD as storage might help...or?

#5 Odovakar

Odovakar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

"Reformatting and simply use the old SSD as storage might help...or?"

I meant the old HDD, of course!

Yes, that's the first thing I did...or actually, it was set on AHIC in BIOS from the very beginning, Two days ago, however, I removed the old HDD so that now I only have the SSD installed. So far nothing has happened. I will try this configuration for a few more days. If nothing has happened by then, we can possibly conclude that the error was due to a conflict between the two drives having the same operating system. If so, I will simply put the old HDD back and immediately reformat it. Reformatting and simply use the old SSD as storage might help...or?

#6 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Thank you Roger!

I probably should go back to just keeping my mouth shut before I cause anyone more headaches, including myself. 

Hey Odovakar,

I think your right... you did say, you had them both hooked up in your initial post. It didn't dawn on me, and that probably would cause a conflict. (do they both have Window's 7 ?) After all both of them have files called C: and they both think they're C: I'm sure the bios has changed the name of one of them, but the file names on the drive more than likely didn't.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but when you try hooking the HDD back up ... in the boot sequence in the bios, perhaps you could try and disable the HDD there. If it works, then you could have it as a complete backup in-case you have trouble in the future. That is, if you don't need it for storage or something else. 

By the way I'm not a computer tech. I'm a plumber ... 

Edited by Enriqe, 28 October 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#7 Odovakar

Odovakar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

Thank you Roger!

I probably should go back to just keeping my mouth shut before I cause anyone more headaches, including myself. 

Hey Odovakar,

I think your right... you did say, you had them both hooked up in your initial post. It didn't dawn on me, and that probably would cause a conflict. (do they both have Window's 7 ?) After all both of them have files called C: and they both think they're C: I'm sure the bios has changed the name of one of them, but the file names on the drive more than likely didn't.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but when you try hooking the HDD back up ... in the boot sequence in the bios, perhaps you could try and disable the HDD there. If it works, then you could have it as a complete backup in-case you have trouble in the future. That is, if you don't need it for storage or something else. 

By the way I'm not a computer tech. I'm a plumber ... 

Unfortunately it happened again, just now...  :-(  Thus, my hypothesis wasn't correct. What am I supposed to do now?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hi, Time to do some testing.

This looks promising too. I'd do this first.

Dated October 8, 2013.

New Firmware for Samsung 840 EVO SSD Is Available for Download

Samsung has recently updated the firmware of its 840 EVO SSD to version EXT0BB0Q. This release fixes compatibility issues with a certain program (PC doctor), optimizes the noise immunity across the internal memory interfaces and addresses the detection issue on certain systems.

Download Samsung SSD Software

Check and download softwares of Samsung SSD.

Data Migration Tool Magician Software

Use The Magician SSD management utility to do the Update. The Software and the firmware are on the Magician Software link above.

1. Leave the New memory and SSD but remove the old hard drive.

Test.

2. Take out the New memory and restore memory to the original configuration.

Test

3. Take out the SSD and use the old hard drive for testing and see if the problem continues.

Test.

Based on Your opening post it most likely is one or both of the changes You made.

I am suspicious either the Old hard drive is not spinning up properly or that the memory  is not quite compatible or the Hard Drive controller does not like the Samsung EVO SSD.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hope this is not to late to help.

Rule #1.

remove/disconnect all drives except for the drive to which you install to.

I'd re-image and highly recommend following this guide

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

For the new memory it might pay to DL/run MemTest86 on them one stick at a time for 4 passes as this will rule out new memory causing issue.

Edited by sandman1374, 28 October 2013 - 08:14 PM.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Hi, By The way, If the old drive still boots and runs OK, and you want to with two bays in Your Laptop you could image it to the SSD and have Your old windows as it was and still get a get a good speed boost from the SSD. First thing to do, Update the SSD. This seems to be a more critical necessity compared to hard drives.

From the Firmware page:

- Fixed compatibility issue with a certain program(PC doctor)
- Optimized the noise immunity across the internal memory interfaces
- Addressed the detection issue on certain systems

Oct. '13

Since the release date is October 13, it is highly unlikely You are running this version.

Samsung even has data migration software for download on the same page as their Magician Software and Firmware downloads.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 October 2013 - 09:05 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#11 Odovakar

Odovakar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hi, Time to do some testing.

This looks promising too. I'd do this first.

Dated October 8, 2013.

New Firmware for Samsung 840 EVO SSD Is Available for Download

Samsung has recently updated the firmware of its 840 EVO SSD to version EXT0BB0Q. This release fixes compatibility issues with a certain program (PC doctor), optimizes the noise immunity across the internal memory interfaces and addresses the detection issue on certain systems.

Download Samsung SSD Software

Check and download softwares of Samsung SSD.

Data Migration Tool Magician Software

Use The Magician SSD management utility to do the Update. The Software and the firmware are on the Magician Software link above.

1. Leave the New memory and SSD but remove the old hard drive.

Test.

2. Take out the New memory and restore memory to the original configuration.

Test

3. Take out the SSD and use the old hard drive for testing and see if the problem continues.

Test.

Based on Your opening post it most likely is one or both of the changes You made.

I am suspicious either the Old hard drive is not spinning up properly or that the memory  is not quite compatible or the Hard Drive controller does not like the Samsung EVO SSD.

Good Luck

Roger

Thank you very much. Running Samsung Magician and updating firmware was, of course, the first thing I did. Now Magician tells me that I'm already running the latest firmware update.

Memtest would be a good idea to try, as someone suggested, but I can't seem to find a 64 bit version for it. Is it true that you can run the 32 bit version on a 64 bit machine from a USB stick or otherwise, as people have suggested on the net?

But apart from that, I think I will have to use trial-and-error for troubleshooting, as you suggested.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Hi, Sorry for not getting back to You sooner.

You do not run the memory test from Windows

You boot off of a Cd and run it.

http://www.memtest.org/ for memtest86+ Preferred from what I read.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Memtest86 and Memtest86+ are open source memory test software programs designed to test and stress test an x86 architecture computer's random access memory (RAM) for errors. Each tries to verify that the RAM will accept and correctly retain arbitrary patterns of data written to it, and that there are no errors where different bits of memory interact, and there are no conflicts between memory addresses.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users