Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 X64 extremely slow after October patches

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jbarker3752002

jbarker3752002

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

I have an HP Probook Core i3 with 4GB of ram.  Until recently, this machine was plenty fast enough for anything I wished to do.  On the day after Patch Tuesday, everything went to Hell in a hand basket. The laptop is on a domain controller at work and Group Policy forced the update automatically.

After the updates, (26 *&^$$*&^ updates at once!), the machine was painfully slow. Outlook, in particularly is very sluggish and any attempt to send a new message hangs ever 4 or 5 seconds (for about 5 seconds each time) until I close the message half an hour later.

After about 20 system restore operations to remove all of the patches in an attempt to go through them one by one, I am very frustrated. I had our sysadmin remove me from GP temporarily so I could troubleshoot, but I have not been able to track down which update in particular is causing this.

If I restore my laptop to a point before the patches, it works perfectly fine. I was able to apply all of the Office 2007 patches with no ill effects. There were approximately 14 patches for .net, and I am relatively certain that one of these is the culprit.  I have disabled all four .net services on my machine, yet the issue persists. For clarification, these services are: .net version 2 X86, .net version 2 X64, .net version 4 X86, and .net version 4 X64.  

When I run resource monitor, I do not see CPU usage is reasonable but Outlook keeps "not responding" and displays the "blue circle of despair".

Any help is greatly appreciated!

James 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jbarker3752002

jbarker3752002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Hopefully this information is helpful:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oMxSuW0Gqeg7KDED7KbmdsI

#3 DfJo

DfJo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

You may wish to check out information at Windows Secrets website, especially Susan Bradley's Patch Watch. The site is run by Windows MVP's with extensive experience. At patch time, only run Malicious Software scan, until you can confirm the the effect of other non-security updates (especially .Net updates)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Moved to Internal Hardware...hard drive per Speccy reflects status of Warning.

Louis

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Moved to Internal Hardware...hard drive per Speccy reflects status of Warning.

Louis

There are certainly enough errors on this drive to assume that it is failing, and I would certainly suggest an immediate replacement. Unfortunately, many hard drive manufacturers  are dumping support for diagnostics that are bootable and run outside of Windows. Generally, I always suggest running the drive manufacturer's diagnostics. Toshiba, in particular just doesn't supply HDD diagnostics to anyone but authorized support staff. Fortunately a Western Digital drive will work just fine as a replacement, and a retail drive will include a copy of Acronis True Image that will let you clone your old drive. You will need some sort of external USB drive adapter to copy the drive (unless your computer supports a second internal drive), but they are inexpensive.

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2013 - 04:48 PM.
Fixed quote/post - Hamluis.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 jbarker3752002

jbarker3752002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

I thought I had discovered the particular service which was causing my slow performance. By process of elimination (clean boot, then re-enable startup services until I found the culprit) I discovered that by disabling the "HP Quick Synchronization Service", my laptop seemed to be much faster....... for a while........ Now I still have it disabled, and have uninstalled Chrome in favor of Firefox, but I still see issues. 

In particular, Outlook and my browser (be it Firefox or Chrome) hang intermittently (show up as "not responding" in perfmon). 

After your mention of drive status in speccy, I have run check disk several times, but do not see errors. Can you recommend any other utilities that might shed some light on problems with my hard disk?

I really thought this was a software issue as I was able to alleviate the issue by restoring my computer to a point before the October updates.  If this is indeed a hardware issue (and an impending failure)  I will ask IT to take care of it.  If not, I prefer to find it myself as he (one guy) is fairly busy with other issues. 

When running the performance monitor, I notice that disk activity spikes each ten seconds. At the exact same time, the blue line in the grap forms an inverted spike.  I believe the blue line is "idle time", so this makes sense that they would meet in the middle.

Again, thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

I hope You have back ups of all the data on the hard drive as it looks shake.

Seatools for DOS

Run The Short and the LONG test. If it wants to do any repairs I suggest backing up the drive first as a repair could cause data loss.

You may have to go into the BIOS settings and change the Hard drive controller to IDE or compatibility mode to run the test. Don't forget to change that settings back after the test to prevent a BSOD instead of booting.

Based on the Speccy Report I suspect a failing drive. A failing drive can cause poor performance.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 jbarker3752002

jbarker3752002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

After your suggestion to enable IDE mode in the BIOS, I was able to run Seatools and, as suggested, I ran both short and long tests. Both tests completed as "PASSED" with nothing in the log file.  Any further suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users