Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search in Charm bar does not allow to click on settings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 davierosoft

davierosoft

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

Hi to all!

I' Andrew, I'm new here, I write from Italy and I found this beautiful forum after an unlucky experience in the Microsoft community where all the problems seems to be fixed only with a system restore.

I have an annoying but very small problem with my win 8.1.

After updating the system to win 8.1 if I try to search a control panel voice or a setting in the charm bar search, all of them are unclickable.

Few examples: add remove programs, ease of acces.... ALL the things with a gear icon or the ones in the control panel.

The control panel can be searced and clicked, opening it I can access to all the things and I can use the search in the control panel window (in desktop mode) without any issue.

I tried different things, asking in the MS community, to Vaio support (still waiting a second answer) but the answers are obvious and they seems Always standard. "Do a refresh" or do a restore...

As my system is on a preloaded Windows 8 with downloaded 8.1 from the store, as I use a 3g connection, I cannot accept to lose upgrades and other things for something that is a very stupid issue.

I also tried to reset the disk indexing service, I tried to find a problem in the registry but I found only that all uncliccable services in charm search, in the registry, have the name with #immutable1 at the end.

I want to find the problem and the solution, but, obviously, I will never use a method wich can be worst than the problem.

Befeore you ask:

System is Always updated with vaio update, manual updates, Windows update and store update. This before and after win 8.1 update.

The system was working fine previous to 8.1

No AV installed (Windows defender only), no firewall active (I use router firewall)

No strange softwares are installed, except for some apps from the store, office, classic shell, and few Others with almost no impact on Windows.

All the win.defender scans gave no issues.

Made sfc /scannow with no problem found.

Made a clean start with no success...

I tried to start with another account and same problem.

Do you have ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:21 AM

First off, get out of Metro and start using Desktop.  second your problem has nothing to do that you needed to use sfc /scannow.  Your problem is with the fact that Windows 8.x metro is just a Fubar'd interface.

Do like the majority and come over to the darkside, and start going back to using the Desktop.  I use Start-8, so that I get some extra features with what the standard desktop does not give you, along with Metromix.  Both from Stardock software.

#3 davierosoft

davierosoft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply, I have a touch tablet (convertible) and the metro interface is perfect for touch screens, however at Microsoft decided to leave the desktop with no touch improvement and it means that all the time I need to add text in desktop mode I need to open the keyboard.

I know that is something Microsoft did just to let people prefer metro interface. I also know that the virtual keyboard can be opened manually from the start bar, but, it is something more complex than flipping the tablet to open the keyboard.

What is strange is that Microsoft office is a desktop program but it has a touch support and the virtual keyboard works automatically with it.

I want to solve it, but, I don't need it for Windows usage, I know how to bypass the problem, I can also pin all the control panel settings to start to turn around the problem so the charm search will find the unworking items but also the new links. ;)

If there is a way to fix it is better, if not, I can live with it.

Obviously, if there is a problem, there is a solution, as I think is something related to a registry item or something similar, I hope to find the problem and fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users