Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP dv5 Recovery partition files not showing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

This Windows 7 laptop got some heavy malware, initially I tried to run the recovery but when I opened the Recovery partition on the D drive, there were no files to be found BUT when I look at the Recovery D drive in MY COMPUTER, it is showing 2.80GB free of 17.6GB and the blue line is almost at the end suggesting there are files in that partition. I chose the "Show hidden files" option but still no files to be found so I am not understanding why it's showing like the recovery parition is almost filled with data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Boot the computer from a Linux Live CD/DVD/USB-key and you should be able to see what's in there.

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into and runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key. Now boot your computer from that disc/key and your computer is now running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.

#3 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Most HP systems hide teh files in the recovery drive (even viewing the hidden files often does not show them).  This partition is designed to be accessed during the initial startup to recover your operating system to factory settings, or repair windows. Under normal circumstances they are useless on a system already running.  If you must restore your computer please follow the factory recommended process for your device, linked below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?product=3809297&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0003

source: hp.com

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

ok, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users